Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I know this is probably a daft question but I was thinking of getting a new motherboard which will use PCI-Express graphics and I was wondering if that would be better than AGP...

For example is an ATI X800 PCI-Express better than the same model of AGP?

Thanks.

:smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well...technically yes. However, current cards really dont even take advantage of the full bandwidth on agp 8x. PCI-Express offers more bandwidth which will eventually be used. If you already have an agp slot, there is no reason why not to get an agp card. The difference may be that it is 5% slower on AGP than PCI-express because they have to use a bridge chip.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Depends what card you're looking at, i dont completely agree with jisc123 on that current cards don't use it. You see i am sure that a 7800gtx would utilize PCI-Express and i don't think you can get an AGP version anyway, but if you're talking about say a 6600GT and diceing whether to go for AGP/PCI-E then go for AGP if you already have an AGP motherboard, either that or you spend $80 on something (a motherboard) that will get you hardly any performance increase.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
In the future, yes. Right now, no. They are currently about the same. PCI-E 16 does offer more bandwidth, but it's not being used yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Luk07 said:
You see i am sure that a 7800gtx would utilize PCI-Express and i don't think you can get an AGP version anyway, but if you're talking about say a 6600GT and diceing whether to go for AGP/PCI-E then go for AGP if you already have an AGP motherboard, either that or you spend $80 on something (a motherboard) that will get you hardly any performance increase.
Exactly, you probably won't see the 7800GT/X1800 or higher cards on AGP. I doubt it has hardly anything to do with the bandwidth, but PCI express is the future and ati/nvidia are pushing it. If you want to get a 7800/x1800 grab a pci express motherboard. Otherwise you're fine with an x800xl or 6800gt.

P

·
0 Posts
Said to be so. Every new technology comes up with the weakest. Like the latest pci bus card was equal maybe better then many agp's likewise there are many agp cards performing a lot better then pci-e cards. But pci-e cards are the latest and will be the best till they come up with a newer technology. I bet it is ready and waiting for the market to buy and get saturated with this junk first. If i was to buy a motherboard right now I would prefer a pci-e one. ( didnt like them to be honest )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.