Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased wireless broadband from wanadoo (now orange), which is the 8mb broadband. While I was at a relatives house, I noticed their internet speed was lower than mine (only 6mbps) and they were downloading at well over 10 times my download speed. I just did a speed check on a website that told me my download speed is 1801 kbps and yet when I download any file it is usually around 60-100 kbps. At the moment I have 36.0 mbps internet connection and "very good" signal. Is this right?

Another question:

My internet speed always flickers from, 54 mbps, 24, 36, sometimes 18 and occasionally 12. Why does it do this even though I keep the Belkin wireless adapter in exactly the same place?

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Well, first stop would be to connect with a wired connection to the router for a test, since 8mbit service should get you a lot more than 1.8mbit benchmarks. I have 15mbit/2mbit service, and when I do speed tests, that's pretty much what I see.

The varying speeds are probably signal interference and/or strength issues, try changing the router channel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh wait, I just caught my eye on "signal=66%". So I guess that is why im not getting the full 8meg broadband?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, do you know or have an idea of why its doing this? Its mainly out of interest now. My dad says we can get the sky 16 meg broadband, and its half the price :grin:. Is there anything for the moment that could boost my internet speed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.