Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ATi Radeon x1800xt 512 card (official ATi version) and i've been using it for close to 6 months now. It works great, has never given me any problems....games never crash (at least they never crash because of the video card..) and it always gets the job done.

However, i'm kind of worried about the tempertures it's been at since I first got it. It usually runs 50-55 degrees celcius idle, and then goes all the way up to 69 degrees celcius under heavy load. The worst thing i've experienced from this is some artifacts/anomalies, and they aren't bad. But the temps have me worried.

Is 70 degrees celcius normal for this line of cards?

I'm on stock cooling (and don't plan on buying another cooler for it so don't recommend it :p) and there is a fan speed control in part of my driver options. It's at default of 32% fan speed (even under excessive load) but when it's at 100% my computer sounds like a vaccum cleaner. But, at 100% the temps went as low as 40 degrees celcius.

So what should I do?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Agreed. My 6800 Ultra idles at 55-60 degrees. Not sure what it reaches under load, but it's not too troubling.
If we are lucky, Indoril Nerevar will post in here and tell us his idles temps (he is running 2 x 7800GTX, pretty sure idle is ~65 -70).

If you don't mind a bit of extra noise i would set the fan up a little bit, but it is not really neccesary.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If your fans can keep the temps down to 40 degrees, then there's nothing to worry about. As Tiber said above, I run two 7800GTX's, and in the summer they idle at 65 - 69. Under load, they reach 82. At those temps, I do have problems with system crashes and such. However, during the cooler months, they idle at 54 - 57, and reach 70 under load, and I don't have problems.

Keep an eye on the temps, turn the fans up a bit and put up with the extra noise, and you should be fine. If you have air conditioning, that will help a lot too (I keep my room air conditioned during summer to prevent the crashes).

·
Registered
6 Posts
you should really get a new cooler for it because running it at 60 degrees and more would sure decrease the life of your card. or get better case cooling because installing a GPU cooler is the hardest thing you can install.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
What is you GPU's 'Core' temp pharoah? I don't think it's anything to do with my (or Indoril's) air flow, and the OP's temps are lower than ours.

Just wondering what temp you are getting, say... on idle, then after 10 Mins of Oblivion on your highest possible settings.

Mine:Core Temp
Idle -59 degrees
Oblivion -63 degrees after 12 minutes (1280x1024, HDR, full view distance, Highest Textures and Shadows <-Admittedly laggy :grin: )

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
you have negative degrees ?
I wish! :laugh:
Sorry, let me put it this way.
Idle: 59 degrees
Oblivion: 63 degrees after 12 minutes (1280x1024, HDR, full view distance, Highest Textures and Shadows <-Admittedly laggy :grin: )

·
TSF Enthusiast
5,538 Posts
What is you GPU's 'Core' temp pharoah? I don't think it's anything to do with my (or Indoril's) air flow, and the OP's temps are lower than ours.

Just wondering what temp you are getting, say... on idle, then after 10 Mins of Oblivion on your highest possible settings.

Mine:Core Temp
Idle -59 degrees
Oblivion -63 degrees after 12 minutes (1280x1024, HDR, full view distance, Highest Textures and Shadows <-Admittedly laggy :grin: )

you must not have looked closely at the pic i included above.it shows the gpu temp to be 36c thats idle temp of course.my load temp after an hour,or so of oblivion is around 55c.oblivion settings 1280x768<widescreen my 850xt doesnt support sm3 so i use bloom,4xaa,4xaf,and draw distances cranked up.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Ahh, i see now, under the artifacting section.
Very nice. I wish mine ran that cool, but apart from water cooling and an air-conditioned room, there's not much i can do.
Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.