Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks I've been getting more and more "VPU Recovery" errors with my Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb video card. From what I've read this feature attempts to reset the GPU whenever the card stops responding or something like that. Turning this option off will just hard lock my computer instead of giving me an error and asking me to reboot. I was looking around for what might cause this and found a few possible causes like overheating, memory on the card went bad, bad power supply, etc.

I thought it was probably overheating since I hadnt cleaned the dust out of my fans in quite a while but that didn't solved the problem. The fan on the card actually started making weird noises after that so I unscrewed the fan and blew the whole card out with an air compressor. I went ahead and installed two more case fans (total of 5 now) hoping that would help but I was still getting lockups and VPU errors. I also tried unplugging all the case fans to see if maybe the card wasn't getting enough power but I didn't think this was the issue since it had been running fine for a year.

After more searching I read about "ATI Tools" which would allow you to overclock or underclock your card. Basic logic told me that if I underclocked my card it wouldn't get so hot. Well after I underclocked with this program and applied the settings and restarted I began to see artifacts all over my desktop and even in bios/the windows loading screen. Blue and red bars on the left side of my screen, little lines that would follow my mouse and matrix-like symbols all over my bios screen. My monitor would now lose signal after a couple minutes and force me to restart. I tried going back to the default settings with ATI Tools but that didnt fix my problem. I even uninstalled ATI Tools and reformatted my computer but to no avail. I'm having to use safe mode just to post this and half my screen has blue bars running down it.

The heatsink seemed a little lose on the card so I tightened it as best I could. I'm thinking the damage may be permanent since even if I leave it off overnight and the card is not hot at all I still have this problem. Should I buy a better heatsink/fan for this card and see if that helps or just scrap it for a new one? Also, I've tried many different drivers. Any info is appreciated.

Asus A7N8XE Deluxe Mobo
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1024mb ddr ram
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb AGP
Audigy Value
Windows XP Home

Have had this comp for a little over a year.

P.S. I'm looking at the ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256mb, has anyone had any experience with this card?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you narrow down when it started?

Did you build this PC yourself?

What power supply do you have? Make/model and Watts. Maybe it has given up the ghost after a year of use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LBuck1972 said:
Can you narrow down when it started? I started getting lockups and VPU errors in the last month or so. The Artifacts on the bios and desktop screen started after I tried to underclock my card with ATI Tools.

Did you build this PC yourself?Yes, I havnt had any major problems until now.

What power supply do you have? Make/model and Watts. Maybe it has given up the ghost after a year of use. I thought it was a 350wt but the sticker said Total Output Wattage 420. It's a Raidmax ATX12v.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an ati 9800 pro 128 too and I also noticed that the heatsink was somewhat shaky and loose. If you take the sucker off, you see that there is a shim on it. I took mine off and it seemed to improve cooling. I'm not saying that this will fix your problem but later down the line I would consider doing it.

As far as YOUR problem goes, it isn't a driver error since your issues begin before windows even initializes. I think it's the PS or the card itself. Either pop a better supply in (name brand and rated at a higher wattage) or take it out and try it on someone's computer that can accommodate the card properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went a bought a new card earlier and everything seems to be running fine now. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.