Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I play HL2 (which never had this problem before on this system) it will go lag-lag-lag, and then sometimes the colors go all out of whack.

I formatted the HD and it's still doing it. help. I need to figure out what's the culprit.

It's a geforce 5200 fx 256 mb directx9 compatable. It's almost 2 years old.

Also, it's an AMD 2700 2.1Ghz, with 2x512 DDR 2700 speed ram.

I played HL2 for 6 months on here with no problem like this.

One additional thing which is occuring is occasionally a mouse freeze-up where the mouse will still move, but the mouse buttons wont click anything, forcing a restart.

this happened just while on the desktop not even playing a game several times last night, prompting me to reformat the drive.

After reformatting the drive all went well, the mousefreeze seemed to have gone away, and then I tried HL2 again, and made it a lot farther than I did last night (I even had the submachine gun) before it did it again.

Also, it's doing the SAME THING with Doom3. Dammit!

Is it the video card going bad, or could it be something else?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Sounds like something's overheating. Since you said you've formatted, it's definitely some kind of hardware problem. Is the fan on the video card spinning?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It never had a fan, just a heat sinc. Low tech games like diablo2 work fine.

I also switched hard drives when I formatted, so that rules out the HD too.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Any recent hardware changes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. But I haven't played any games on this comp for a couple of months. So I guess you could say the recent change was to play the game.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I think Fox is on to something. I am not sure that it is video card related (but, may be), but heat is probably the issue you are dealing with as a first response to your post.

The second thing that I can think of is a power supply problem. What brand name and wattage is your power supply?

Tell you what, why not check the at-rest temps and under-stress temps and also check the power supply outputs via a monitoring program. Some motherboard have an onboard program you can use to report this information. If you don't have an onboard program to do this, here are a couple of free ones that you can download and use:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Post back with this information and it should help one of us be able to guide you.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Fox said:
Sounds like something's overheating. Since you said you've formatted, it's definitely some kind of hardware problem. Is the fan on the video card spinning?
What is you case configuration as far as fans and there locations
Also when was the last time you blew this system out with a little canned air?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
54c CPU
37C MB

CPU fan 4530

+12 12.032
+5 4.919
+3.3 3.312
Vcore 1.68

This is with nothing running, been browsing and posting on forums a little bit the past hour.

AG 480 watt ATX power supply

The computer was fairly dusty, but all fans were/still are spinning.

I sprayed with air an hour ago, it's pretty clean now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fan on top blowing out, fan on side blowing out, fan in rear, blowing in, one fan in power supply, also blowing in, and the cpu fan.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
AMDuser said:
Fan on top blowing out, fan on side blowing out, fan in rear, blowing in, one fan in power supply, also blowing in, and the cpu fan.
Hi,

CPU is way too hot for an at-rest computer. You also have some fan problems.

Fan in rear must blow out, pulling air out of the case.

CPU fan must blow down on heatsink

Fan on top needs to blow Down over motherboard

Side fan can blow either way, but I would use it to pull in cool air.

If you make these changes, then you will see your temps drop, but until you do, we don't know exacty how much. Are you sure your power supplly fan is blowing in??????????

Oh, while you are at it, rearrange your ribbon cables to allow a better air flow through your case.....unrestricted air flow.

On another vein, I don't know your power supply, but it seems to be putting out stable power. I don't know how many amps are available on each rail, but solve the heat problem first and then if you have problems, we will look at that.

Note: To be quite honest, what I like is the required rear fan pulling hot air from the case and a front fan pulling cool air into the case. That is my personal preference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. I played Doom3 for 3 minutes and the errors began. Now the temps are:

62c cpu

39c MB

I'll get to work on what you suggested, and then come back with more temp readings.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The Simple rule I use is if the fan is high it blows out if it is low it blows in. Hot air rises so you want to get it out. One of the first thing I do with a New Case is remove the stamped fan grills from the case. They restrict the air flow and collect dust and lint. :sayno:
Sometimes it's best to try differant arangments to see what works best. :sayyes:

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Those temps are WAY too high for your rig. Take it apart and clean the CPU's heatsink and make sure the fans are clean and dust free. Also make sure the ports for the fans are clear as well. Little bits of dust can have a huge impact on airflow, just like a bad grill design can.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
ebackhus said:
Those temps are WAY too high for your rig. Take it apart and clean the CPU's heatsink and make sure the fans are clean and dust free. Also make sure the ports for the fans are clear as well. Little bits of dust can have a huge impact on airflow, just like a bad grill design can.
Thank ebackhus
I did forget to through that in didn't I :4-dontkno

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!

45c CPU
35c MB

Are those temps O.K.?

What ARE the ideal temps supposed to be anyway?

The CPU heat sinc was fairly bad. Some complete layers of crap in a couple areas. The fan didn't look nearly as bad, so I had overlooked it, but I bet this was 89% of the problem.

I also twisted up the ribbon cables and wrapped them in electrical tape so they're round now.

I'm gonna fire up Doom3 and check it out. Thank you!

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I would consider those temperatures acceptable.

There is no real perfect range, but I would definitely say that 60C and above is just too hot for the CPU. The 50's range is iffy but pretty safe, and the 40s and under are ideal.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Fox has summarized the acceptable temperatures on this one pretty well. You know what? The proof is in the pudding.....if it works and does not get any hotter and shut down, then the problem is no longer a problem. Glad it was not the video card anyhow.

Addendum: Whatever you do with the fans, make sure your back fan is pulling hot air out of that case and blowing it out the back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O.K. I cant believe it. It's fixed and I didn't pay anything! :laugh:

53c cpu
38c mb

After playing Doom3 for about 10 minutes and with no problems.

THANKS AGAIN!!! I'm going to post here some more! :grin:

And yes, I changed the fans around like you said too. I should be good 2 go!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As an afterthought, should I get a fan for that vid card? It didn't come with one so I never paid much attention before now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.