Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently have a k7s5a motherboard i have a xp2000+ processor and it runs as 1250mhz. Its been like this since i got it when i go to bios and change it doesnt load windows my powersupply max is 250w. I bought a new motherboardASUS A7N8X SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD and i also got a new ram chip do you think the xp2000+ will run as 1250mhz on this mobo?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

With a 250 watt PSU ; I am surprised it lights up at all !!!! impressive >>>

get yourself an antec tru power 550 watt / llok on ebay or newegg.com they are $100.00 or an Enermax of about 550 watts then you will see the real beast come out in your rig !!

The psu is every bit as important to buy a quality one as is the processor !!!

let us know how you progress / dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Power supply

450w ATX Computer Power Supply w/ SATA & 24 Pin Connect would this work? i cant afford the 100$ power supply :) wanna know would this be good enough cuz i only have a 250w right now.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
a quality power supply is around $100 so when you see a case and supply for $29,it is obviously generic crap
if you scrimp on the ps and it goes on you,then you could end up having to rebuild the whole computer
check what size supply you need here
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
add 30% to the result
then look at these brands
http://firingsquad.com/products/hw.asp?cat_id=59
and do a google search on them you are sure to find someone will have them out on special deal

·
Registered
587 Posts
K7S5A runs mainly off the +5 amperage..

I ran mine on an Antec True 250W...it was heavy on the 5V rail...

What speed is the ram? is it PC100 PC133, DDR200, DDR266?, the K7S5A does not like cheap ram...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so any of these will be good? i have exactly 50$ to spend :( but i checked that website and im only running 203 watts? so would this 250w do with my new a7n8x motherboard or should i go higher to atleast400-450w? Also would this power supply work until the new 1 i get comes in the mail i have a 250w max psu?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
in the asus manual when you receive it,i think you will find a warning that a 350w min is required to boot
the higher you can afford to go the better off you will be,250w date back to 98,if you read the forums you will see where people are using 550-700w supplies some even higher

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got my mobo today but i didnt get the artic silver im gonna be trying to order a powersupply from antec anywhere from 350w to 480. This sux cuz now i gotta wait for psu in order to turn my comp on :(

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
it's the right wattage, but it's a "case special"

you wouldn't be saving enough to make it worth while.

i'd go for something a little better quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.