Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some of the other forums and i was myself wondering this:

I have a small 2.3 gig western digital hard disk, and it some times makes a "click" sound that is identical to the sound it makes when i shut down my machine, (the sound it makes when it parks the disk like in old 286's with SCSI drives) it sometimes develops small errors, but nothing normal disk maintainance cant handle. but it will make this noise about 12 times a week. and it doesnt seem to affect performance, but it is really loud. it does it sometimes when it is working, and sometimes when it the hard disk wakes up from the energy saving hdd power off. sometimes it will just "click" and sometimes it will "click-click" and i have even heard a "cl-click" out of it. the power supply has been changed, and no differences there. the drive itself reports good health and i was just wondering if maybe it is failing. i keep my machine empty, and i keep everything i need to keep as a document on a open-ended cd. i have no worries about losing my data but i am worried i will need a new disk and wont have the money for it when it fails. if anyone knows what causes this sound, please explain it to me. thank you

BoB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.