Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a laptop that is nearly 2 years old, and for the last few days i have heard a strange grinding sound coming from it, its not really loud but its there. Anyway when i was on it last night the computer went really slow, when you click on things and it was taken ages to come up and the hard drive light was always on etc. Then it just froze on me and and when i tried to start it up i kept getting all weird messages like "cannot load operating system etc" and the dreaded blue error messages and then when i could get it to load up it would take about 30 mins to start up and still the hard drive light would just be constanly on.

Anyway i swticed it off over night and it switched on ok, and as i write this the hard drive light has gone off and everything seems to be fine and has been for 2 days, apart from the noise, thats still there. If it was the hard drive would it go back to being ok? the smart software says im ok??

Anyone any ideas on what this could be?

If it is the hard drive are they difficuly to replace on laptops?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If your drive is making any kind of grinding noises, then it is time to immediately back up your important documents and start looking for a new drive. It sounds like it may be a "head crash".

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hey chris,

i recommend going to the laptop manufacturer's website and search the specs of the model of your laptop. find the brand of hdd and when you get the brand name of your hdd, go to the manufacturer's website of your hdd and download their dianostics utility.

then bootup with the diagnostics utility and test your hdd for any errors.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Find out what type of drive it is (Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, etc.) and search those sites for diagnostic tools. You should be able to figure this out from the Device Manager.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Find out what type of drive it is (Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, etc.) and search those sites for diagnostic tools. You should be able to figure this out from the Device Manager.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.