Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a 100GB laptop hard drive (Toshiba brand) through an external enclosure to store my music files for the past six months or so. In the past few days, the drive started to act up; accessing certain MP3s either froze the computer or the program I was using to copy or play them. I backed up all the data on the drive to an older external HD using Allway Sync, but received error messages (both "error performing inpage operation" and "The semaphore timeout period has expired") when attempting to copy some files; about 15-20 files out of 12,000+ were unable to be copied. I tried to error check the drive using both the error-checking option in XP and chkdsk at startup, but the program froze whenever it got to Phase 4. I then went to Safe Mode, deleted and reinstalled the drive's partition, and tried to format it there, but after leaving the program running for 6.5 hours, there was still no progress in the formatting. The drive seemed to be spinning, but its activity light was stuck on red.

So, is this drive dying or dead? Copying and using files still works (with the exception of the apparently corrupted handful), but I'm afraid to move my data back to it since I can't chkdsk or format it. I dropped it a short distance a few days ago, so I think I may have done it in with my clumsiness (although I admittedly did that a few times before and didn't experience any problems then). Still, if anyone has any suggestions for getting it to work or at least testing it successfully, I'd appreciate the help. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.