Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A few days ago my laptop stopped booting properly, I wud see vertical and horizontal lines on a grey background, completely frozen, sorta like when you apply pressure to an LCD screen. I suspect my laptop had overheated recently causing some internal hardware to become damaged. Is my GPU fried?
A few things to note:
-My laptop starts up fine (with the monitor working too) some times with the GPU working fine though after a while (I think when it reaches a certain temp, ~68'C) it just shuts down suddenly and imediately, the screen goes black and all power is cut.
-Safe mode boots up fine, though I do have to output my screen to an external LCD through a VGA cable (dunno if this is connected to the graphics card)
-If I do get it to run either normally or through safe mode on a different monitor and then remove the graphics driver and reboot it starts up without a graphics card and I can't do anything you would normally require a gfx card to need, which is expected. Could this isolate the cause or damaged part?
-The driver nvlddmkm.sys crashes on boot when I hook it up to an external monitor most of the time, could it mean it's something to do with software or just that the driver activates my graphics card which is broken thus causing a crash?
-If it does start up fine some times with the graphics working, does it mean it could be partially broken, i.e, loose/melted wiring Could it instead be a software related problem (I don't really want to reformat)?
-If it is the GPU, the only way to fix it would be to replace the motherboard or get an external gfx card like the new ATI thing? Could I open the laptop up and look around?
-A strange thing happened the other day though I think it may have just been a coincidence: I tilted my laptop while starting it up and it booted up fine. Loose wiring? Coincidence (as in note 1)?
-The fact that it crashes at ~68'C when it does boot is a bit weird since this would imply that it should boot at a lower temperature, however, from a cold start it still doesn't boot and just freezes on lined screen.
Please help,
Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually it won't boot on it's own to the laptop screen when I uninstall the drivers or boot in safe mode which isn't what I expected, unless the laptop needs to initialise the gfx card straight away in which case it would crash if it was damaged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.