Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I have been trying to solve a problem with my comp for a month now. What happens is that the graphics freezes, but not the sound. Usually it gets back to normal after 30-60 secs, but sometimes I have to use the reset button. This can happen any time - no matter if I read an email, play music or something else. Never got an error message.

At first I thought it was just a software problem, so I restored the drive with PQDI, which has always worked before - but not now. I have, of course, scanned for malware (with F-secure). I even updated the BIOS.

I run a dual boot with Win98SE (without Internet connected) and Win XP Sp2 Eng (with internet). The problem occurs in both OP's, so I thought it must be a hardware thing - took everything out, checked and cleaned (even the mainboard) - tested my RAM with Memtest - nothing there.
Then I ran the DirectX test - and failed. Updated DirectX, nothing happened. Uninstalled the Nvidia drivers - now it worked (and faster too) - but the graphics look like ****, of course. I have tried several driver versions with the same (bad) result.

What is this? I can't run the comp without graphics drivers and I don't understand why my PQDI backup doesn't work anymore - no hardware has been changed since I created the backup image. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comp specs:
Athlon 3200+
MSI KT6 Delta
2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR Ram (333 MHz)
GeForce 4 Ti4200, 128 MB (I know it's time to upgrade)
Audigy2 Platinum
AverMedia TV card
1 CD-R/W and 1 DVD-R/W
2 x 80 GB Maxtor PATA
1 x 80 GB Maxtor SATA

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, and thanks for answering.
Yes, I uninstalled the old driver before trying another one.
No errors found with chkdsk - I checked all 3 drives.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
uninstall the drivers reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes rebooting
disable a/virus
reinstall your drivers
reboot the computer
check the event viewer for any errors that coincide with the freeze
what power supply are you running

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried your suggestions. And, sadly, the same problem is still there. I'm beginning to think it's either the mainboard or the graphics card (GC). I don't have another GC - that would have been an easy way to sort that out. Is there any other way to get an answer to that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.