Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to get some feedback from the computer experts in here, I have an old Asus motherboard(P3V133 model) that I was thinking about upgrading it, the computer is running fine as is right now (Pentium II 350MHZ, 128MB RAM, 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, networking card) from Asus website, I see that this board can be upgraded to a Pentium III 1GHZ, 1.5GB RAM memory, so hence my question, should I upgrade? I was thinking about a Pentium III 667MHZ with 1.5GB RAM, I figure around $300 the most it would cost me, I've searched on the web and couldn't find a CPU with a higher MHZ than the 667 that was sold as a retail version, I'm very leery about an OEM CPU, I've been told that the memory is more important than the CPU speed, is that true? thanks for the help

PS-I'm in the process of building a bigger, faster, better computer, the above computer is for my wife to use

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

I would NOT spend $600.00 dollars on a P3 machine !!

I would however buy a used processor on ebay P3 1ghz and not more than one gig of memory
and spend about $60.00 for cpu and another $60.00 for memory

look here : (this guy is an awesome seller ~~ 3200 sales and 99% happy buyers ~~ this guy aint gonna burn ya)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-P3-Pentiu...806294187QQcategoryZ14292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if it were me I would buy four of these / crucial is excellent memory
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crucial-256-MB-...ryZ14917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-4-pcs-Mi...ryZ14917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guarantee you will not see any perfromance loss going from a P3-933 to a P3 1-ghz cpu !! You will however ~~ be pulled through a time warp and see a bigggg diff getting the P3 -933 and the four stick of 256 memory instead of a p2-350 !!!! / thats a worthwhile upgrade you will enjoy without spending $600.00 !!

before I spent 600.00 on a p3 system I would spend $1000.00 and upgrade to a socket 478 P4 system (which for an extra $800.00 over the p3 upgrade cost probally isnt going to rock your socks off ~~ unless you just like the idea of a new computer !!)

regards

joe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ bnm81002
It is easy to catch the 'upgrade' bug! I did(in a situation similar to yours) and paid more than the system is worth. My advice would be to limit your budget to under $100, and shop ebay for a Slot1 P3 733-933($20-30-40)(the 1.0GHz seem to command that extra $10-20 for very little speed gain over the slightly slower and cheaper models)( and 2 sticks of 256MB ram($40-50). Then you'll have a system worth $100, instead of spending more and having a system worth about the same $100(and depreciating!). She won't notice much difference between a 733 and a 1.0GHz if she is surfing and emailing or minor foto editing. She will notice the boost in speed overe the P2 350MHz, and she'll be thankful(hopefully!) You can even install Win XP. Just don't expect to do heavy video editing or heavy gaming.

If you have a $300 budget, an older P4 system could be had,as crazijoe said or the cheapest Dell special!

It is easy to catch the 'upgrade' bug! I built/upgraded my secondary system using an asus p3v4x MB(~$40), and 1.0GHz(~$50) and 384MB CL2 ram(~$40) and it works fine with simpler tasks and programs. But I spent almost $200 and it is barely worth $100 on todays market... but it was fun to build. I also spent many hours modding and quieting the system(cutout grills, adding slow/quiet gel-mounted fans, special modded HSF, USB2.0 card),turning a passive fanless(except for the PSU) system into a more powerful but very quiet useable 'powerhouse'... all a labor of love, with no hope of return on investment. I caught the bug that started with the CPU upgrade, then the MB, then the RAM, and USB card and new fans, until I realized I had spent $200+ on a $100 system:((. I was looking into buying 2x512MB PC133 ram(for another ~$90) to be able to work WinXP, but I have been pleasantly surprised that the 3X128MB CL2 RAM has worked fine! It would have been a waste of $$$ to buy that RAM and it wasn't needed, particularly for this older secondary system. My lesson learned..only buy what you need, when you need it. Don't buy 'for the future', which means to me, the next six months. Prices are always going down(for now anyway). Anyway, I hope this has been helpful to you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the replies in here, I agree 100% that I can get a used P III or P 4 for the $300 but I did research and found the P III 667MHZ(retail version) that I mentioned in my post for $70 and a set of PC133 SDRAM (2x512) for $90=$160 total for my upgrade, would that be more better than spending the $300-$400 for a used P III or P 4? thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Well I can certainly see where you are coming from / my wife only uses the computer to check email / write letters / make birthday cards and run a pedigree software program / it makes more sense to spend the $160.00 than spend $300.00 if that satisfies her 100% of her computer needs. Like @ Please said so accurately only buy what you need, when you need it. Don't buy 'for the future'
although I would go for the 933 myself new or not -vs- the 666 / i saw a notable speed diff between my old desktop with an MSI board & 733 vs a P3 933 and an asus p3v4x but some of the diff could have been the asus board too ?????? but i would certainly prefered working on the 933

good luck

joe

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another reason I would perfer not to get another computer, more junk in the house you know, plus I would have to copy the existing drive to another drive which can be a pain as well, before I do anything I'm gonna call Asus to make sure what can be upgraded to the motherboard before I buy anything, thanks guys/girls

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
its youre call ??~~

an OEM chip is sold to big quanity vendors at a very discounted price / as such they do not warranty as long oem = one year retail=3-years

other than that >>> no diff / basically what you need to deceide is will you spend the extra money for the added two year warranty ????????

regards

joe

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
linderman said:
its youre call ??~~

an OEM chip is sold to big quanity vendors at a very discounted price / as such they do not warranty as long oem = one year retail=3-years

other than that >>> no diff / basically what you need to deceide is will you spend the extra money for the added two year warranty ????????

regards

joe

so an OEM version will still contain all the same things that a retail version sold would contain(instruction manual, brand new CPU?), that's all that comes with a CPU, correct? thanks

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The OEM will be just the bare CPU. No box, manual, heatsink or fan. Retail box version will come with documentation and heatsink/fan.
On a CPU that old, I doubt you will find one that's still under warranty, Retail box or OEM.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Crazi Joe is right ~ he usually is :) / I lost track of the fact we were discussing a P3 cpu / if you find a new retail version (which would most likely be overpriced) I doubt there would be much if any warranty due to the products release age ??????

as far as the retail versions stock heat sink and fan >>>> i personally dismiss them anyway (the P4 stock cooler is a sick chicken as far as I am concerned)

regards

joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.