Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

I have a low-end gaming PC and would like to upgrade so that I can play more graphically demanding games and am wondering if it is possible to do so without having to buy a completely new pc.

As it stands I can run only VALORANT smoothly. Even with that when I try to run anything in the background even discord I get massive frame drops.

Basically what I am asking is, can I upgrade say the RAM and graphics card to solve these problems? If so what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

This is my current setup:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 7400 @ 3.00GHz 74 °C

Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)

Motherboard
MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS (MS-7A15) (U3E1) 74 °C

Graphics
VS248 ([email protected])

VS248 ([email protected])

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (NVIDIA) 27 °C

Storage
931GB TOSHIBA HDWD110 (SATA ) 29 °C

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1

Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
budget could be up to €500, my main issue is that I do not know which parts are compatible with my current rig. For example from what I read I could benefit from an SSD and more RAM, but how do I know what type of SSD and how much RAM? From what I understand I have 2 spare RAM slots, if I got 16g more ram would that create a bottleneck? and would that then mean I need to also upgrade the GPU?

Thanks

·
335 Posts
I7 7700 or 7700k would be your top upgrade for your current system (for gaming) along with the upgrades that SpywareDr recommended, and although you can't OC a 7700k on an H110 mobo it matters not - although hardware youtubers distain that idea you get a better overall boost clock with a 7700k vs a non k 7700. You will need a competent CPU heat sink fan because on that mobo you can't undervolt or offset 7700k tends to run a tad hot. Good news is that the IPC on that processor is pretty good and it's 4c/8t vs what you have now with your I5. Pair it with something like a RTX 2060 or RTX 2060 Super and you're good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts