Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems while trying to play a game. A few minutes after I start a game, the system crashes. Usually the screen will freeze up then go black, sometime it will just go out with no warning. I thought it was just games, but yesterday after about 30 minutes after starting the computer, I was surfing the web and the screen froze up, I could not do anything but I was able to move the cursor around.

After about 10 seconds though the screen blacked out, and came back looking just as it did, but was still frozen and now the cursor was gone. A few seconds later I heard a short beep from inside the computer but nothing else happened. The only way to fix it was with a hard shut down. At first I thought my problems were the video card but now i'm not sure.

It can not be overheating as I had the sides of the case off when it happened (I was testing to see if the problem was heat), and the system is more or less dust free. I have scanned for viruses and spyware, and found no problems. After some research though I beleive it may be my poor little 300 watt power supply trying to run all my stuff. So I would like to know if this sounds like a problem resulting from that or if it is something else. Unfortunatly if I want a new power supply I will need a new case, since the one I have now is a shuttle case, it is too small to fit anything bigger.

So I am really trying to find out if this is the problem before I go switching everything around and buying a new case / power supply.

System Info:
Radeon 9800 pro 128
AMD Athlon 64-bit 3400+
120 gig Western Digital Harddrive
two 512 sticks of DDR 400 RAM

Thanks

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi Cheeseboy, welcome to TSF :smile:

You can use Everest Home Edition to measure your temperatures and PSU readings ('computer > sensors')

Then check your system's power requirements at Power Supply Calculator (needs java enabled to run)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, thanks for the welcome :grin:

Anyways, I got 261 when I checked the power supply calculator. I'm not at home right now so I cant try that program yet. So is 261 cutting it too close? and if not then what on earth could the problem be. It happens every time I play the game, I don't want to test i much more because im afraid I might break something. I guess it could be the video card but im really not sure.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

That is cutting it way too close. In my opinion, running what you have will take no less than a 450 (if Antec or Enermax) to 500 watt power supply. You get what you pay for in these babies, so if you don't have to pay around 100 bucks, the supply probably won't do the job for you. Just a suggestion, it is tempting to see the 30 or 40 buck power supplies (they are junk), but don't let the devil tempt you......if you can't get an Enermax or Antec of a good wattage, just don't waste your money on one of the cheapo's which says it has 500 watts.

Not sure this is your total problem, but I am just saying that you need a much more powerful power supply to run your box.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I have heard nothing but good reviews for this case. You could not go wrong with one of them

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

This is being written by me on an Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego, with an ASUS A8N-sli deluxe with an Antec Sonata II case. I love the case and it does a nice job with this unit. I also have the X700 pci-e video card, two Sata Hard Drives, an IDE Hard Drive, a CDRW, a 3.5 floppy, an Iomega Zip 250, and three USB small drives, and one gig of memory. No problem with this case and it is quiet and cool. That is a personal opinion, I love this case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awsome, thanks everyone, I will probably go with it then.

Well I will check back if problems persist after I get the new case *shudders*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.