Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to DOS attack my home network to see how secure it is, but i am worried about the damage it might to do it. So the questions are

1) what will the long term damage be, and how easy will it be to rectify?
2)Will I get locked out and have to restart the server
3)Could it cause security hole that are not already there?
All answers appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Security has very little to do with a Denial of Service attack. DOS attacks are about hammering the network with traffic on such a massive scale that the recipient routers and servers lag to hell just trying to deny all the requests. You'd need access to several dozen outside machines, minimum, to simulate a DOS attack on yourself, and no matter how high end your equipment is, if you have sufficient computers attacking, the DOS attack WILL succeed. There is no known defense against a DOS attack other than having the router autoignore requests from certain IP ranges, which of course the router would have to process by checking incoming requests against that list, which would eat some of it's processor, which a sufficient attacking force can cause lag through which makes the DOS attack successful in the end anyway.

To answer your direct questions, a DOS attack canno cause new security holes, will not lock you out of your server (you might have to reboot it if the server just ragequits over the massive request queue), and there is almost no chance of long term damage to the equipment. Think angry 5 year olds yelling at the top of their lungs at you - they can shut down your thought processes but they can't really damage your eardrums, no matter how hard they try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.