Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I just want to download some privacy documents which is there in my yahoo mail account. In any case, if i want to download them to my laptop which is connected with our office LAN, then will the network guy who is tracking my system also can view these downloaded files??

thanks in advance,

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
51,803 Posts
I suspect Yahoo Mail, being HTTP based, has no security to speak of, so the answer is most likely yes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my god! Thats weird!! Even if i had attached some documents in my personal yahoo mail box and wanted to download them into my local drive.
While downloading the attachment files from my mailbox, how is it possible for the network guy to take that documents meanwhile. then whats the security system behind this? Then network guy can get all of the files from anyone mailbox at the time of downloading? thats weird! Is it really possible?

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
Never expect privacy when you use someone elses network. Just about everything you bring up on screen may be seen by others depending upon the companies policy.

If you want privacy, its best be done at home.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
51,803 Posts
The only way you can be assured of privacy is to use encryption from the mail server to your machine. Anyone at your ISP, should they feel the desire, could easily monitor anything you send/receive from Yahoo mail, or most other web based email services. Even many POP/SMTP email clients and servers don't have encryption.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>>If you want privacy, its best be done at home.
If i get the Datacard provided by company and connected to Internet/Intranet thru VPN, still i would be screened by them?

>>The only way you can be assured of privacy is to use encryption from the mail server to your machine.
do you know how to use encryption method for yahoo mail to protect sharing the documents to others who tracking my mailbox.

Thanks

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
51,803 Posts
If you have a VPN, you're protected for traffic in the VPN tunnel.

I have no idea if encryption is even available for Yahoo mail, my sense is that it's not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Assume that i opened my new mail and reading a new message which i recevied from my friend. The URL says something like below:
http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=63a68bet897mb

Now at the same time when i copy this URL and paste over into another new instance of Internet Explorer and try to view this message , it asking me to login again into my yahoo account. Seems like this is protecting my mailbox and ensure security, then i also removed all of my Temporary Internet Files completely from my system and also i have dynamic ip address , ie, if i close my laptop ,LAN connection would be automatically disconnected. SO, there is no chance of others to view my message at all! Still, i couldn't understand how this is possible..

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
51,803 Posts
Trust me, it is possible. :wink:

If you want the communication to be private, don't send it via unencrypted email!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.