Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

I am wanting to install a DVD burner drive & a DVD Rom drive in my tower.

I already have a CD burner drive installed.

Is it possible to have all 3 drives??

Also, I do have Primary & Secondary PCI IDE connectors as well as a PCI card with one slot free.

IF I were to install the 2 new drives (DVD burner & DVD ROM), could I place them on the Seconday PCI IDE connectors, allowing me to hook up a 160GB HD on the PCI card slot?

·
Registered
376 Posts
First, what motherboard are you using? If you have one like mine, it would give you many options to configure stuff. However, I don't know if you have these options, such as SATA and RAID.

Second, why do you need three optical drives? If I were you, I'd only install the DVD-ROM and DVD-RW onto the secondary IDE, and have the hard drive(s) on the primary IDE. DVD burners will burn CD's for you, so the old CD-RW can come out of there.

What hard drive are you intending to use? If you get a nice SATA one, it will free up both IDE channels, allowing you to have all three optical drives hooked in there. The SATA drive would be hooked to an SATA port on your mobo or on a controller card.

How many watts is your power supply? If you hook too many things into your computer, you'll discover that many components quit functioning. There's even a chance of blowing the power supply, which could damage some things. This is another reason to go with just two optical drives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The reason why I wanted to keep my other burner is because it is alot faster than the DVD burner drive. But, I guess it will have to come out so I don't risk screwing things up for myself.

My Mobo is: Jabil BX Motherboard R3

The HD is: Maxtor 160GB ATA
Couldn't I just hook the HD up to my Ultra ATA PCI card?

Last question.
How do I install the HD? I heard that I will need to partition it because of a 137GB limit or something like that. Is this true & what do I do?

Thank you in adbvance!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
XxWyldRoguexX said:
The reason why I wanted to keep my other burner is because it is alot faster than the DVD burner drive. But, I guess it will have to come out so I don't risk screwing things up for myself.

My Mobo is: Jabil BX Motherboard R3

The HD is: Maxtor 160GB ATA
Couldn't I just hook the HD up to my Ultra ATA PCI card?

Last question.
How do I install the HD? I heard that I will need to partition it because of a 137GB limit or something like that. Is this true & what do I do?

Thank you in adbvance!!
Just install the Maxtor drive like you would any other drive. After installation, you can download and install this patch from the Maxtor web site. This will allow you to access your 160GB drive normally. I'm not sure how you will be using your new hard drive, but it is a good idea to partition your drive anyway though. I would not however connect your hard drive to the PCI card, this will decrease you drive speed.

Also you can hook up all three CD/DVD drives to your system. Just make sure that you have a power supply that can handle the load. Mental_Myopia is correct about the problems that can occur if you're not careful. If you are not sure, or find that you would have to buy a new power supply then you might want to just go with two CD/DVD drives or buy a good and fast DVD/CD-RW drive. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, how is this setup then:

CD Burner on Primary IDE port

DVD Burner on Secondary IDE port

160gb Maxtor HD on PCI card (that already has 2x60gb HDs)

As for HD spped, not worried about the speed... I just need the space ;)

If I do set it up this way, what do I need to change in the BIOS??

Set both Primary & Secondary to AutoDetect??

Also, will I need to run the Patch to make my OS see the 160gb HD?

·
Registered
376 Posts
You'd save a lot of space by attaching the hard drive to the primary IDE channel, and the two DVD drives to the secondary channel. You'd increase performance as well.

Wait - I just read something I missed. You have two 60GB hard drives in addition to the 160GB drive. Does your motherboard support RAID? If not, the PCI controller might. I'd attach the main hard drive to the motherboard's primary IDE, the two DVD drives onto the motherboard's secondary IDE, and the other two drives on the PCI controller's primary IDE. This should give you quite a few options, and it only requires three IDE cables instead of four. Having one less IDE cable in there will also give you more space and promote better cooling and airflow.

As for BIOS, select CDROM for your optical drives and Auto for your hard drives. Enable bus mastering for the PCI slot that contains the controller card.

I doubt you'll need the large drive patch if you're using Windows XP and have the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mental_Myopia said:
Does your motherboard support RAID?
Looked into Device Manager & here's what it showed:

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Secondary IDE Channel

Under SCSI and RAID controllers:
Promise Technology Inc. Ultra66 IDE Controller

Does this help??

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Looked into Device Manager & here's what it showed:
Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Promise Technology Inc. Ultra66 IDE Controller
I'll just interject one thing here.

The i82371 and Ultra66 will both max out at ATA/66. And they're both on the main PCI. So no speed difference there. Just be sure to use 80-conductor IDE cables for all your hard drives, or they will run slower instead, at ATA/33.

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
If after connecting all of these drives, and things aren't properly detected or not operating properly, it's a good sign that your power supply is being asked for too much power. Since this system has the older ATA66 controllers, I assume that the power supply is probably about 250W. My old 250W-based system couldn't handle this much stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mental_Myopia said:
You'd save a lot of space by attaching the hard drive to the primary IDE channel, and the two DVD drives to the secondary channel. You'd increase performance as well.

Wait - I just read something I missed. You have two 60GB hard drives in addition to the 160GB drive. Does your motherboard support RAID? If not, the PCI controller might. I'd attach the main hard drive to the motherboard's primary IDE, the two DVD drives onto the motherboard's secondary IDE, and the other two drives on the PCI controller's primary IDE. This should give you quite a few options, and it only requires three IDE cables instead of four. Having one less IDE cable in there will also give you more space and promote better cooling and airflow.

As for BIOS, select CDROM for your optical drives and Auto for your hard drives. Enable bus mastering for the PCI slot that contains the controller card.

I doubt you'll need the large drive patch if you're using Windows XP and have the latest BIOS for your motherboard.
Yeah I missed the two 60GB hard drives as well. That is going to put a lot of stress on what sounds like an overworked power supply. However it looks like XxWyldRoguexX is using Win2000 judging by the sig. so I would download the hard drive patch just in case. I'm not sure if Service Pack 4 fixed that 137GB limit or not. Mental_Myopia makes an excellent point about airflow and cooling. Those older ribbon cables can block airflow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...I can't seem to get my comp to see the 160gb HD :(

I did not install the DVD burner & I removed my other 60gb HD.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do??

Win2k Pro

P3
500mhz

I just updated my BIOS as well...

·
Registered
376 Posts
If your power and data cable connections are secure and your jumper settings are correct, then it's got to be your power supply. I said this plainly in a previous post.

What all is hooked up at the moment, and what are they hooked up to?

What is the wattage of your power supply? If it's only 200W, you'll be lucky if you can run the two 60GB drives and one CD-ROM. I'm really rooting for a 250W or higher in your system, but a 500MHz P3 system is probably more like 200W or less. With this limitation, try the two 60's on the primary IDE and two CD-ROM's on the secondary and see what happens. Put the PCI hard drive controller in a box of spare parts since your power-starved system isn't going to like it.

I've asked repeatedly for the power supply rating. At least you've finally told us the processor so I could come up with a better estimate as to the likely size of the power supply. You'll want to go out and buy a nice Antec 330W power supply if you want to run all of these drives and ensure they're all operational. You're risking damage to your system with the low, overworked power supply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.