Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a laptop with 1 hdmi port, and 2 monitors. I have done a bit of research and found out that normal hdmi splitters do not support 2 extended displays, they can only duplicate the primary display. Is there a special kind of hdmi splitter that does support 2 extended monitors at 1080p 60hz?

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
What is the make and model# of your laptop?
You can get a Docking Station to attach to your laptop. This will allow you to attach 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and give you some extra USB ports.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the make and model# of your laptop?
You can get a Docking Station to attach to your laptop. This will allow you to attach 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and give you some extra USB ports.
what dockins station do you recommend i buy? i am on a budget so the cheaper the better
the cheapest one i found so far is 35$ which is still kinda expensive imo

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
There are docking stations that are made for or by the laptop manufacturer. I can't recommend a Docking Station until you tell me what the Make and Model # of your laptop is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As stated above, HDMI does not support multiple displays out of a single port; that's only available with DisplayPort. You can use the USB-based adapters, but be aware that they are NOT quite the same thing. They use what's called a DisplayLink chip that basically uses your CPU and GPU to compress image data for transmission over USB, which is then decompressed by the adapter and sent to the display.
This has a few ramifications. First, the display will sometimes feel sluggish and/or reveal compression artifacts when large portions of the display area are changing at the same time, even when you have USB 3.0 and a fast CPU and GPU. This isn't an issue if you'll be using this display for Web browsing, email, etc, but gaming or full-screen video would not be advisable. And second, battery life will drain noticeably more quickly due to increased CPU and GPU activity.
Note also that this does NOT apply to USB Type-C adapters, since Type-C connectors actually have a real DisplayPort output wired to them, so THOSE adapters would be absolutely equivalent to connecting to a DisplayPort output. But it looks like your model does not have a Type-C connector.
You may read more here here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are docking stations that are made for or by the laptop manufacturer. I can't recommend a Docking Station until you tell me what the Make and Model # of your laptop is.
I have an Acer Aspire 5 A515-5655Y3 Azerty laptop.
(if you need any more information, here's a pic of the sticker on the back of my laptop)
Purple Rectangle Violet Font Magenta

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
any USB-C type Universal docking station should work for your laptop, but it sounds like everything is out of your price range

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any USB-C type Universal docking station should work for your laptop, but it sounds like everything is out of your price range
If I don't get a docking station, my second monitor will be useless, so I'll just try to find the cheapest one possible and hope it won't be too expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
Your OP states you have 2 monitors with HDMI output. And I guess they also have VGA. the USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter in Post #10 would work well for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your OP states you have 2 monitors with HDMI output. And I guess they also have VGA. the USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter in Post #10 would work well for you
Yeah the monitors have a vga output, but I already have 2 vga to hdmi adapters.
Also, the adapter on post #10 has terrible reviews. I have also read in the reviews that you need a thunderbolt 3 port to make it work, but my laptop doesn't have a thunderbolt 3 port, are these reviews correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a laptop with 1 hdmi port, and 2 monitors. I have done a bit of research and found out that normal hdmi splitters do not support 2 extended displays, they can only duplicate the primary display. Is there a special kind of hdmi splitter that does support 2 extended monitors at 1080p 60hz?
HDMI splitters (and graphics cards) can send video output to two HDMI monitors at the same time. But not just any splitter will do; you need one that works well for the least amount of money

·
Banned
3 Posts
Sometimes you have only one HDMI port on your computer (typically on a laptop), but need two ports so that you can connect 2 external monitors. In this case: You can use a 'switch splitter' or 'display splitter' to have two HDMI ports.

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
Your model Laptop doesn`t support video over usb-c natively, however you can use usb-c/usb to hdmi adapter. Or the HDMI port out of the laptop. You haven't clarified if your monitors only have VGA or if they support HDMI as well? If the later, you don't need the VGA adapters, just use HDMI directly from the laptop to one of the monitors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your model Laptop doesn`t support video over usb-c natively, however you can use usb-c/usb to hdmi adapter. Or the HDMI port out of the laptop. You haven't clarified if your monitors only have VGA or if they support HDMI as well? If the later, you don't need the VGA adapters, just use HDMI directly from the laptop to one of the monitors.
My monitors only support VGA, but with an adapter I already have, I can convert it to hdmi, are you sure getting a hdmi to usb c adapter will extend my display, not duplicate it, even though I don't have a thunderbolt 3 port?

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
You can also get a USB to VGA adapter, which is probably a more direct route for this issue.

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
Since they're not in a language that I speak or read, I can't really say.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts