Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

is it possible to enable DHCP server for additional routers

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  2xg 
#1 ·
So far we add any router in the existing network simply by disabling DHCP server, and adding LAN ip for that. We don't add WAN detail at all in the additional routers. And plug one cable from main network to the LAN port of the additional routers.
So we basically use that additional routers only as a access point for WIFI.

But what I wonder is if it's possible for me to use the additional routers with the same feature as of the main routers i.e. Enabling DHCP server so that it too can give its own DHCP ip address.

#2 ·
Not unless you setup each router to be in its own subnet and setup routing between each router. Not recommended to do this unless you are running out of address for the clients. If you are running out of addresses just use a class B IP address with subnet mask 255.255.0.0 rather then having several DHCP servers!

Another option would be to do what i have done for our wireless network. Enable DHCP on each router but divide the 255 address say by 4 (i have 4 routers) and then you have 64 address to lease out by each router. So router 1 provides address 1-64, router 2 65-128 and so on.

Maz

#3 ·
comonforall - You and entire IT Dept. should be doing proper training to run your IT Dept or hire a Professional IT Consultant to address all your Network issues.

Your company seems to have a lot of technical issues going on. Believe me, proper training would benefit your company and resolve the issues that you're experiencing.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.