Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Does it make sense to find Deleted Files on a new external hard drive? I bought a few days ago a WD external drive of 1 Tera. The files explorer shows that it's empty, but out of curiosity and before start using it I scanned it using a recover deleted files software, and it found 12 deleted files with a total size of 20 megabytes.

See the following images:

Does that make sense? Should I worry that maybe the drive was used and sold to me as new? Or are these files simply part of a normal testing process that WD performs on the drives before it releases them?

Your advice please,
Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would say it is not normal at all. I would also say that even IF they were testing files then WD did a horrible job of making certain the drive was 100% NEW & UNUSED. Files indicating desktop.ini and lost folders would require Windows or some other GUI based OS to have been installed on that drive at some point (especially for the desktop.ini file which is intrinsic to Windows) and that is 100% DEFINITELY NOT how you test a HD before it gets send out to a customer. Contact the person/company you received the drive from and tell them what you found and return it. I would also go so far as to only get a refund and NOT an exchange for replacement because I would no longer be willing to trust the seller.

Good luck and EXCELLENT eye for detail....I would never have thought to look for deleted items when checking a new drive.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
A $ before a file name signifies the file is hidden. This is probably just a couple of test files to make sure the drive is working. Worst case scenario is they sold you a refurbished drive and said it was new. If you are concerned, take it back to where you bought it and have them exchange it for a new drive.

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
Just use the SMART diagnostics from a program like SpeedFan and see what the operating hours are on the drive. If it's a few hours, it's basically new and maybe tested. If it's hundreds or thousands of hours, take it back.

This is a fairly new drive I've only had for a few weeks, it's showing 348 operating hours.

Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Screenshot

This one I've had a bit longer, still fairly new, it has 1500 operating hours.

Font Parallel Pattern Circle Technology

This one I've had the longest, it has 7367 hours of operation on it.

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Pattern

Reactions: Tom2021

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just use the SMART diagnostics from a program like SpeedFan and see what the operating hours are on the drive. If it's a few hours, it's basically new and maybe tested. If it's hundreds or thousands of hours, take it back.

This is a fairly new drive I've only had for a few weeks, it's showing 348 operating hours.

View attachment 332023

This one I've had a bit longer, still fairly new, it has 1500 operating hours.

View attachment 332024

This one I've had the longest, it has 7367 hours of operation on it.

View attachment 332025
Thanks very much!

I checked, and the results looks OK to me, because I tried about 3-4 deleted files recovery applications and each scan took about 2 hours...

See the results:

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

So the hours looks OK, but what about WndrWmn's reply?

She said:

"I would say it is not normal at all. I would also say that even IF they were testing files then WD did a horrible job of making certain the drive was 100% NEW & UNUSED. Files indicating desktop.ini and lost folders would require Windows or some other GUI based OS to have been installed on that drive at some point (especially for the desktop.ini file which is intrinsic to Windows) and that is 100% DEFINITELY NOT how you test a HD before it gets send out to a customer".

What do you think about that?

I thought to ask Western Digital support directly, but their site is very confusing.

I can't find where to ask the question, they have list of products to ask questions about but I can't find the external drive that I have (you can see it in my SpeedFan picture).

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
With nine hours, I'd say it's a new drive, time to move on.

Reactions: Tom2021

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right from the start I asked the question in two forums, because I wanted to hear more opinions. WndrWmn told me that it's not right to see this files on the hard drive so I felt a little confusing.

But after reading all the answers (in the 2 forums) my final conclusion is that it's OK.

So I'm done with that.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,

Does it make sense to find Deleted Files on a new external hard drive? I bought a few days ago a WD external drive of 1 Tera. The files explorer shows that it's empty, but out of curiosity and before start using it I scanned it using a recover deleted files software, and it found 12 deleted files with a total size of 20 megabytes.

See the following images:

Does that make sense? Should I worry that maybe the drive was used and sold to me as new? Or are these files simply part of a normal testing process that WD performs on the drives before it releases them?

Your advice please,
Thanks.
Hi Tom2021
Must say it looks OK, as the files you refer to are in the RECYCLE BIN. Seems there has been some activity which has replaced those system files and they are sitting in the bin.
Under Windows 10 all disks become spaces for the recycle bin unless you disable it, and I am guessing your G drive is just another drive that has not been excluded.

Try excluding the G drive as a recycle bin - first empty your bin, then right click the recycle bin on your desktop and select Properties. Set the G drive to 1 (it won't let you set to 0).
Restart your computer and make sure it is all working OK.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Compare the creation dates of each file against the manufacture date of the drive and the purchase date.

Those files preceded by the dollar symbol ($) are NTFS metafiles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

If you want to see what is on the drive, I recommend a disc editor, eg DMDE (freeware). Just drag the vertical scrollbar from LBA 0 to the end of the drive. Do you see mostly zeros?

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
A $ before a file name signifies the file is hidden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts