Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has told me to work on a laptop. It works fine, but the screen isn't doing so hot. Everytime, I can hook a monitor to it and it does fine. The LCD goes white when it's activated (like when the laptop's turned on) and then it gradually goes black with confetti on it (with the Windows desktop still on the external monitor). Playing with the Fn+"Monitor" key don't help. It does work from time to time, but I have found nothing in peticular that does make it work. When it does work, it works perfectly. (still on the LCD). I have noticed some distortion on the big monitor sometimes when the LCD is black. Also, it works everytime when I take it out of suspend and it restores from the hard disk. It's also relatively old (AMD K6-2, 333MHz) so the CMOS battery's going dead. Could it clear up when I replace that? Also, if that don't do it, what's it likely to be? ...can it be salvaged?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I guess my question would have to be is it worth it? You could spend way more than the machine is worth trying to fix it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What does the problem sound like? I know the LCD's good. It works as it's coming out of suspend (from hard disk) but don't work any other time at first. It does start to work later on though. Should I just go ahead and nab the data off of it and scrap the system? ...or do you think I can make a cheap fix and it be cured? (like maybe putting a new CMOS battery in it, if the power draw settings are corrupted causing it to do this). I hope and think that's what it is.:winking: Like you pointed out Johnwill, the last thing I want to tell my aunt is that it'll take a thousand bucks to rebuild the LCD. I'll try a few things before I tell her to get a Dell.:tongue2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.