Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had some old parts set up running Linux LXLE. Need a monitor. Want to buy a second hand monitor. Power cables and AC adapters are not supplied. I have cables and adapters from old PCs.
Can these AC adapters be used interchangeably?
Thank you.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
What is the Make and Model# of the monitor?
Most monitors use a standard Power Cord like the one used with Desktop Computers, but depending on the brand, some monitors use a Power Brick and that would have to specifically match the input and output voltages or you could burn out the monitor. If it does not use a standard power cord, it is best to look up the manufacturer's web site and search for it on Ebay.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
If it's a simple AC plug then anything that fits will probably work, as long as you are in an area that is supplying AC mains power of the voltage and frequency that the device expects.

AC/DC adapters are more complicated. There are several factors you need to be aware of when selecting an AC/DC adapter.
  • Input voltage
  • Output voltage
  • Output current
  • Connection type
  • Connection "gender"
  • Connection polarity
All of this information should be included in your device's documentation. For example, this is from the manual for a Sony radio.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Circle Art

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,614 Posts
Have had some old parts set up running Linux LXLE. Need a monitor. Want to buy a second hand monitor. Power cables and AC adapters are not supplied. I have cables and adapters from old PCs.
Can these AC adapters be used interchangeably?
Thank you.
I've seen a number of monitors that require a DC brick. If that's what you have, you have to match the voltage and current capacity of the monitor's requirement to your available power bricks. You'll also have to consider the connector on your available bricks. I have two 27" HP monitors and one 24" Acer monitor on my machine, all require a DC power brick. The Acer and HP bricks are NOT compatible.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the Make and Model# of the monitor?
Most monitors use a standard Power Cord like the one used with Desktop Computers, but depending on the brand, some monitors use a Power Brick and that would have to specifically match the input and output voltages or you could burn out the monitor. If it does not use a standard power cord, it is best to look up the manufacturer's web site and search for it on Ebay.
Thank you.
"What is the Make and Model# of the monitor?"
Cannot tell since I am going to buy a second hand monitor on eBay, might be any make.
" some monitors use a Power Brick "
This is what I worry about. I do not know whether the Power Bricks or adapter may be used interchangeable. Most of the monitors manufactured in the years 1005 to 2010 have Power Bricks. The monitor I want to buy is one of these since most of the parts of my setup are old, old parts manufactured in 2005 to 2010. For some reason, these old monitors and cables and Power Bricks are sold separately. To buy them on eBay, this causes a lot of hassle.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's a simple AC plug then anything that fits will probably work, as long as you are in an area that is supplying AC mains power of the voltage and frequency that the device expects.

AC/DC adapters are more complicated. There are several factors you need to be aware of when selecting an AC/DC adapter.
  • Input voltage
  • Output voltage
  • Output current
  • Connection type
  • Connection "gender"
  • Connection polarity
All of this information should be included in your device's documentation. For example, this is from the manual for a Sony radio. View attachment 335261
Thank you.
"AC/DC adapters are more complicated. There are several factors you need to be aware of when selecting an AC/DC adapter. "
Yes, this is what I am concerned of. It is a bit of confusing. Some say the adapters or power bricks can be used interchangeably, but some others say it is not certain. And it is almost impossible to find an old monitor with its own cable and adapter.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
"What is the Make and Model# of the monitor?"
Cannot tell since I am going to buy a second hand monitor on eBay, might be any make.
Well, for us to give you a definitive answer, we would have to know the Make and Model. If you have gone to Ebay, you already have decided on a few monitors that do not have cables included that you are considering buying. So, whatever model you decide to purchase, look the specs up on a Google search and it will tell you what type of power connector it uses. If the seller doesn't include the power cable, that would be a sure bet that it is the standard AC Power cable that is used for a lot of electronics, mostly Desktop computers. If the monitor uses a power brick, the seller should include it or the monitor would be useless, unless they state in the ad that they lost it, in which case, you can buy a replacement power adapter on Ebay.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
I'd say that if a seller is not including the proper cables and power adapters then you should not buy the item. How do they even know it works? Not including necessary additional parts to immediately test a product and determine whether or not it works within the eBay refund period is a classic eBay scam. These sellers are hoping that they will get your money and then be long gone before you discover they sold you a non-functional item. You must do your due diligence when purchasing electronics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts