Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe this happened. I had an old 20 gig Buslink brand usb1 hard drive and I plugged it into a pc i have. Next thing you know the pc went dead. I disconnected the buslink usb drive and when i went to reboot i got the infamous "ntldr is missing"
message. Worse, the bios couldnt even recognize the boot drive and i could hear a repetitive noise coming from the boot drive. I unhooked my 2 other ide hard drives and left this boot drive on and the same thing happens, i get the same message and i hear
the same noise coming from the drive and it wont boot to win xp pro. I then disconnected the bad drive, put another hard drive on, installed win xp pro and all is well. I changed the jumpers on the bad hard drive to slave and re-installed it. With the bad drive on the system it wont even boot. When i take the bad drive off the
system will boot into windows and all is well.
The noise coming from the bad hard drive is a repetitive tick, tick kind of noise. Its a 40 gig maxtor. The mobo is an ECS KV7TA3 v8, with an athlon xp 2400 cpu, 512 mb ram. Everything works fine on this pc now that i have added a new boot drive.
My question is, is this drive done for or is there a way to revive it, even though the bios doesnt recognize it? The bios actually partly recognizes that there is a drive there, but it gives it a wrong name and shows 0 for the size of the drive as well as 0 for sectors and the other parameters of the drive. Also, any reason why this would happen in the first place? I have had many different usb drives and other usb products installed on this pc, no problem until i plugged in this Buslink drive.

thanks

T

·
0 Posts
That drive is surely dead. Run the manufacturers diagnostic on it to make sure.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
just a coincidence the old maxtors where prone to a high death rate anyway >>>>> kinda shocked it lasted that long

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it was dead. It must have been the usb box that did it. I dont think it was a coincidence that it just happened to die at that time. In fact, and i should have mentioned it, the drive is an older model but not used very much. It came from a business pc that never got used and it sat around until i started using it last year, so its really only got a years use on it. I do realize that maxtors name wasnt the best in that era.
I guess i am wondering if anyone else has run into that kinda problem, they plug in a usb device and their hard drive dies?

And i will try the maxtor diagnostics on it, if i can.

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.