Tech Support banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have HP Stream Notebook PC 11 with windows 8.1 I try to boot it pressing F8 repeatedly. I've retried this many times. It just boots normally. Also are there no keys for a hard reset? Is my BIOS corrupted? This has Windows 8.1 and currently isn't working due to frozen cursor

I also have Acer Aspire 5733 with windows 7 which I got second hand from small shop, the top panel is coming off soon after purchase. I also want to know if the BIOS is possibly damaged,
I tried to factory reset and youtube says I should hold down Alt+F10 and boot, this does not work. Is the BIOS corrupted or maybe the dealer fiddled it so people couldnt do a factory reset?

Please help. I cannot afford the bills.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,438 Posts
Try Esc or F2. If no joy, Settings>Update and Recovery>Recovery>Restart Now>Boot from EFI USB Device>When it tells you boot device failed>X2>Enter>F10.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,557 Posts
Corday is right the UEFI bios replacement changed the F8 key as a working solution. You have to disable "secure boot" and enable legacy bgoot to be able to even access the bios these days short of Update and Security, Recovery setting in Windows.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,034 Posts
The "enter UEFI/BIOS setup" key for HP laptops has been ESC for a number of years now.

If you keep striking ESC about once per second when you are booting up from a complete shutdown (if you have Fast Startup enabled, this won't work unless you do a Restart) you'll eventually get to what you're looking for.

F8 has been long, long gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts