Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if my computer has enough power from my CPU which is 420Watt

i have a ATI radeon 9800, Creative sound blaster, 1 gig ram, 2.1 AMD

everything was running smoothy untill i installed the creative sound blaster, after i installed this my computer started to crash every 15-2hours. the more programs i had running the quicker it would crash. do you think that i dont have enough power from my 420watt power supply? what should i upgrade to

thanks alot.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Easy way to tell, take the thing out that you put in and see if it crashes. That way, if it crashes, it is most likely one of two parts. Either the new part or the power supply.

In the meantime, tell us more about your power supply. We need to know the Brand name, the amps per rail (posted on the side of the power supply). Please also just list everything you have on your rig, like motherboard, CPU, hard drives, etc. (you did list some, but list all in one place)

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Follow Tumbleweed36's suggestions please.

On a side power requirements are:
9800 XT : 60W
9800 Pro : 47W
9700/9800 : 42W

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow Tumbleweed36's suggestions please.

On a side power requirements are:
9800 XT : 60W
9800 Pro : 47W
9700/9800 : 42W

its the 9800 Pro

mobo is mguru abit, AN7 Nforce 2 ultra 400
3 hardrive total of 256gig
sony dvd laserscribe drive
generic dvd drive
in a X infinity case

the brand of the powersupply is called purepower,

i was looking at getting a new enermax is that a good company and how many watts should i get

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Please take a few minutes to browse the power supply information under my signature area. When you read this, then use the power supply calculator at the end of the document (before the recommended supplies are listed) and add 30% to the total you get. That would give you the BARE minimum of the power supply you need. What I do is add the 30%, then put another 100 watts on there for future upgrades. Personally, that is what I consider a wise choice and being safe.

Here is a personal view on the enermax. Until very recently, I recommended that power supply as one of the top choices. However, I have begun to see a disproportionate number of that brand that come DOA and dying early. The recent reviews bear out that others are seeing the same problems.

Remember, this is a personal observation. At this time (and I know some other techs with the same viewpoint), I have quit recommending the Enermax supplies for purchase for the forum members and I do not use them in my personal computer business. Therefore, tread carefully, if you get a good one, they are great, if you don't, then headaches galore.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Here is one of the best buys out there now for a great power supply with power to spare. This supply would be big enough to let you upgrade in the future without having to do this again. If you read the power supply information, those links have been updated recently, so you can go there and look at others in that wattage range. You can also check other suppliers if you find this link is not the best one for you:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=273506

That is my opinion, but any OCZ, Fortron, Seasonic, Antec, Silverstone in the 520 or + range would do the job for you. If you find a real deal on a larger one with one of those brand names, then go for it because being larger won't harm anything. I do know that Tiger Direct has had some real sales on the OCZ line (rebate) recently which is a GREAT power supply. Just check Tiger Direct, ZipZoomFly, and NewEgg for best prices and sales before you buy. They are all excellent companies.

Let me know if I can help further.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi Kalim,

Just got back on here after some family obligations, and when I clicked the link....it worked fine for me. You must have gremlins in your puter. :4-thatsba Anyway, the 650 at that price is a steal, so I would do that if it were me.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Thanks Kalim for finding that link. That power supply for you is a great choice and price, so will last you for a darn good period of time and permit you to upgrade without having to do this a second time in a year. Good luck and let us know if you need further help

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Yes good choice.

Tumbleweed36 it was returning a blank page to me. Troubleshooted it through and found the Firefox cache was corrupt :rolleyes:
Pressed the hard reload (Ctrl+F5) and it came up perfectly :grin:

You're welcome and thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.