Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have old computer that Im trying to resurect. Tried to instALL INTERNAL USB PORT INTO PCI SLOT. wHEN REBOOTING COMPUTER DISPLAYED IRQ ERROR MESSAGE AND REFUSED to continue. If I disable the offending parrallel port in computer BIOS, and set irq to manuel with different irq number , computer will boot.Only problen is that second ide controller with additional hard drive and cd-rom are not seen by computer.The usb card was removed, but problem remains.This is old Acer aspire with 133 pentium running win 95 b. prior to installtion attempt, computer was working perfectly.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hi Nick,

Changing the IRQ assignment produced an IRQ conflict. Change the IRQ assignment back to what it was before you installed the USB card. Also go into Device Manager and make sure that the USB card is uninstalled there too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ibrokeit said:
Hi Nick,

Changing the IRQ assignment produced an IRQ conflict. Change the IRQ assignment back to what it was before you installed the USB card. Also go into Device Manager and make sure that the USB card is uninstalled there too.
the device manager does not show any usb card I don't know what the original setting was .When I set it to auto, the computer selects a different setting and :4-dontkno won't boot up!

·
1,438 Posts
1. Have you tried it in a different PCI slot?
In reality, PCI slots use bus mastering and a shared IRQ is common and not a problem. I suspect that it has to do with win95 not having been built with USB support ; so it is seeing it as an additional serial / parrallel port both of which require specific IRQ and com / lpt port assignment.
Have you installed USB support for win95 ?
LINK: USBman on win95 usb support
(If you do not have usbsupport installed he has the files you need to download and install first)

2. Are you sure you have enough power for the additional card? Remember that USB carries 5V power for devices. Have you tried booting with the new card installed , but say your second hard drive disconnected? (The second drive and cdrom not appearing makes me very suspicious that this may be a power issue).

3. Make sure bios is set to plug and play os ; it is possible that by resetting to defaults you disabled this option.
LINK: How to configure your bios.
If necessary, boot to safe mode, go to device manager and starting at the bottom, remove/uninstall each device listed.
Reboot and let windows redetect them all and assign resources.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for your suggestions. For now, I've removed USB card.I just want to put it back the way it was before I Tried to install USB into pci slot.The pci slots on this machine have nothing connected to them! I wnet into device manager to make sure both IDE controllers are enabled, they now are.I unchecked auto IRQ setting and now there are no conflicts. The computer will not recognise the second hard drive or cd-rom connected to it.Here's a reminder of computer configuration; windows95b,pentium 133,80mb ram, cdrw, printer & scanner with scanner passing through printer via parrallel port. second hard drive 1gb and 24Xcd-rom drive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any reason to believe that when I installed USB port on pci slot it caused the IDE controller to break?Any idea why removal did not let computer return to working condition.When I tried to return bios to default setting, computer would nnot boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.