Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Windows XP SP3 "small" version (200+MB). Following that installation whenever I try to sync my iPod, iTunes opens and immediately goes into "not responding" mode until I disconnect the iPod at which point iTunes immediately resumes "running" mode. The iPod shows up in Device Manager as an "Apple iPod" under Disk Drives, and as a "USB Mass Storage Device" under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. It does not show up in Disk Management or in Windows Explorer. My other USB devices seem to be functioning normally. The iPod functions normally in standalone mode. I've since done a system restore to roll back the "small" SP3 and I've installed the 550+MB version in its place. That seems to have corrected all the problems that began with the original XP SP3 installation except the iPod recognition/sync problem. Suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It seems there is a small bug involving the ipod and Windows XP SP3 small version. You could google it and see if anybody else had the same problem. You could also report it to MS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd try running the diognostics in the help menu of itunes before you plug the ipod in and see if this comes up with anything.

If that doesn't work then I would check for an update in the help menu to see if you have the latest version.

If you have the latest version and it still doesn't work then I would close itunes. Remove the ipod. Open add and remove programs from the start menu or control panel and the find itunes in the list and click repair. If that still doesn't fix it try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

If that also doesn't work then I would plug the ipod in again without opening itunes and open the device manager from the control panel in system. If there is an entry for an iPod try uninstalling/removing it and then unplug the ipod and plug it back in again.

If all else failed try using system restore if it wasn't to long ago when it stopped working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.