Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
searching for an ipod help forum i found this site...hope this is appropriate?
i recently got a replacement laptop (windows xp)...I dl'd the new itunes and ipod agent to copy the ipod and when i plugged in my ipod i get a popup saying that my ipod is unreadable and needs to be updated and restored...well i have 5k songs on my ipod and none in my computer..anyone have any idea how i can get the songs off my ipod and onto my laptop before restoring the ipod.....thanks tons

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Have you registered your iPod? They offer email support to registered users.

You could uninstall the new iTunes and iPod agent, and install older versions which might work without the need to update.

PodUtil might help you get your songs onto the PC before updating the iPod.
http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/podutil.php

I don't know how relevant this is to your problem, but it might help.... (from the iLounge forums for iPod users)
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/index.php
How do i hook my iPod up to the PC without activating iTunes?

In iTunes preferences, under the iPod tab, there should be an option to have iTunes automatically start when the iPod is connected. Uncheck this box and it won't activate.
If you want to restore your entire library, there is a 100% free solution that requires NO additional software.

Look for the \iPod_Control\Music directory on your iPod (when accessing it in Disk Mode -- ie, as a drive letter).

The \iPod_Control directory is hidden, so you may need to turn on the display of hidden files and folder in Windows Explorer (go to Tools->Folder Options->View).

This directory contains all of your music files, in their original form, complete with proper tags and filenames. The only downside is that they aren't organized into very logical folders (there is no album/artist folder organization). This can make it difficult to find a specific file, or especially to recover an entire artist or album (since they will be scattered throughout different subdirectories).

However, when restoring the entire music library, you can just copy this entire \iPod_Control\Music directory to your hard drive. This will include ALL of your music files.

If you then subsequently import that directory into iTunes, with the "Keep Music Folder Organized" option turned on (see Edit->Preferences->Advanced in iTunes), then iTunes will not only bring that music back into your library, but will reorganize it into subdirectories by album/artist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i just tried to rip everything off my ipod onto a Mac and it worked no problem although its going to take a long time and i dont have regular access to a mac...but why wont it work on my laptop windows xp....only says that my ipod needs to be formatted and only gives me the option to restore to factory settings(therefore losing all info) not just update,,,,thanks again

this ipod is 2 years old not under warranty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.