Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only one computer at my home. To connect to internet, I just need to plug the network cable (Rj45) into my computer that is given by my ISP. There is no modem or any switch.

When I type ipconfig/all it is showing 169.XX.XX.XX ip, but still I could connect to internet.

But in my office, when I type ipconfig/all, it shows 192.168.1.XX Lan ip address.

My confusion is what is my private ip address of my home computer then. Though I can find the dynamic public ip of mine in Google.

Side note : I can't post here my home computer ipconfig/all screenshot as I'm away from my state(home).

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
the ip of 169.254.x.x is provided by windows when it cannot find a DHCP service to obtain and IP address
the office 192.168.x.x is a typical router IP address given to the machine and allowing access to the network and internet

you Home IP will probably be 192.168.x.x if connected to a router or it will be an IP address supplied by the ISP if connected to a modem and that can be any number

BUT you say
To connect to internet, I just need to plug the network cable (Rj45) into my computer that is given by my ISP. There is no modem or any switch.
and so we need a little more info on how you are connected -
is this a cable service or a telephone service
All will need a modem of some kind at your home - cable often the connection can be part of a cable TV box which also has the modem ....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mean my cable. No, it works on base of MAC address I think. If we put the cable into any other computer, it doesn't work unless we insist the ISP to reset MAC address so that it can be used in the new computer.

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
Does the laptop work elsewhere - like at your office
At least then we know the laptop is OK and working

Have you confirmed with the ISP that that connection is working OK

Do you have access to another PC you can try on the cable - its maybe possible to clone the mac address

post an ipconfig /all here from home
the following will open a notepad file - which you can save and copy to a machine that can access this forum

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.