Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning
Awhile back I had an issue with limited or no connectivity on a 3 computer network, the fine folks here at tech support forums help me by having me manually change my ip address on the computer in question. now several month later the other two computers have different ip addresses, they used to start with 192, now they start with 169. which has made the third computer not able to access the network again.
I changed the third one to 169 and it works again, however I have no idea why the other 2 changed to 169.
This is a wired network, I am connected over a linksys router the main computer has dial up internet that is only used for updateing antivirus and windows updates, this dial up is shared using ICS.

:4-dontkno Thanks

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
It sounds like the main computer is set up to connect directly to the internet
through the modem.
This means it is assigning IP's to the other computers through DHCP.
The problem you are probably running into is that DHCP is enabled on
the router and is also trying to assign IP's to the computers.
You will need to go into the setup for the router and disable DHCP
and set all the computers to attain IP's automatically.
This way they will get the IP's from the main computer only.
Do not change settings on the main computer,it should be fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks leroy, that however brings me back to my original issue, am I going to have the issue with limited or no connectivity that I started out with if I do this? That would be sweet if it fixes that too....
Thanks again...

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
You certainly need to disable the DHCP on the router, but don't tinker with the configuration of the ICS machine, you don't set DHCP active on that one, it's supplying the DHCP server function.

G

·
the 169 is the default out of the box automatic windows ip address that windows machines will assume if connected on a network w/o dhcp and no static ip. It is so automatically they will connect. So somewhere your network backbone is breaking down.

G

·
you are sharing dial up ? i do not want to see that, what os are your machines ? more then likely you probably need to create a peer to peer , do you know if one already exists ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.