Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

am a networking dummy so please be gentle !

I am trying (and failing) to set up a wireless network at home. I want to have a laptop, pc and print server set up (not even thinking about the xbox's yet !)

I am using all belkin products - including belkin adaptors for the laptop and pc.

I cannot get the print server to work and have given up on that but the most frustrating thing has been the wireless router. As a wired router it works fine but, although it did work wonderfully for a few hours, it has given up the ghost if I try to use it without physically connecting it to my pc.

It appears to 'forget' the IP address of the PC - even tho it is set up to allocate it automatically and allocates a random one which doesnt work :(

I rebooted it this morning and it worked perfectly for about 2 minutes - the IP address was correct and I had net connection and everything and then it just changed it and the wierd IP address was back???

I have been told that maybe it is the router that is actually broken but I wanted to ask you (the experts) before I subjected myself to speaking to Belkin.

Any thoughts ??

thanks a million

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SAMANTHADESKTOP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : have taken this out
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : BELKIN USB To Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : have taken this out
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : this address is the correct PC address
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : this address is the correct router addy
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : this address is the correct router addy
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : this address is the correct router addy
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 September 2005 08:31:08
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 September 2006 08:31:08

this is the result of the suggested action - the addresses are all correct for the router and the PC - does the windows IP config look ok? This is something I know nothing about I'm afraid :4-dontkno have taken anything addressy out as I wasnt sure if any of this should really be in the public domain.

I could understand if the thing never worked - its just that it works 'sometimes' and works when its physically connected - I hate computers !!!!:cry:

thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There is no risk in publishing private network addresses, since they're all the same for any Belkin router. It really does make it harder to figure out what's going on when you obscure information.

If it connects and then drops the connection, I'd suspect interference with the signal. I'm also curious as to why you selected Bluetooth, since that's a very short range device. 802.11b/g would have been a much better choice, unless you're in the same room with the router.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
told you that I didnt understand any of this lol

and the network isnt actually over bluetooth - I just have a bluetooth adapter for my phone n stuff - the usb network adaptor also shows up on the info I got and that is what is causing the problem.

thanks for your help anyway.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you'll repost with the actual contents of the IPCONFIG, we'll try to help. The devil is in the details, and you've left them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.