Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 250gig 7200 RPM hard drive which I've had for some time, it has never had an OS on it; I use it to store movies/music ect.

On the harddrive I had one main folder in which each I held all my media. In this folder was ~50 folders each leading to a certain group of files. Before I had realized, my subdirectories were invisible. I can't see them but they are still there!

I ran Error-Checking under the tools tab on the properties on the drive and the next time I rebooted it attempted to run, it found a number of files to be unreadable or corrupt and was either deleting them / fixing them...not sure exactly what happened. I let it run overnight and it froze @ 35% no matter how many times I tried it.

I'm now on a new computer with a fresh install, I plugged this hard drive into my new computer and it attempted to run Error-Checking again and froze at 35%, whenever I boot my system up I have to skip this to boot.

Here is a picture that describes my problem:

~ http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/8981/folders1hs.jpg

Picture 1 : Shows the main directory on my hard drive (F) "Anime ^_^" is the main folder that has ~50 sub-folders, all invisible

Picture 2 : This shows the "Anime ^_^" folder, it takes awhile to load but comes up empty; if I create a new folder in here it also becomes invisible.

Picture 3 : I was able to remember the names of a few of the subfolders, "Suzuka [all released]" is a sub-folder of "Anime ^_^" and when I typed this up in the explorer bar it went straight to the folder and still had all my files (working).

Picture 4 : My Computer showing the (F) drive.

Picture 5 : The General Tab of (F) drive properties, it shows 209 GB being used, the "Stuff~" folder on (F) only uses 13 GB so the rest is still somewhere.

I think a few of the sub folders may be corrupt since I remember other some other names and they aren't accessable.

Has anyone encountered this problem ? Any suggestions on how I can once again see the sub-folders in "Anime ^_^" ? Being able to restore the disk / get all the files back would work too; I could transfer them onto a new hard drive and re-format this one.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Oni.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
go into the Anime ^_^ folder and click tools > folder options on the view tab select show hidden files and folders and click ok.

If the folders appear then highlight all of them and do right-click > properties and uncheck hidden click apply and ok.

Go back into tools > folder options and on the view tab select do not show hidden files and folders and ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but I'm not that stupid :p

I've tried that, I guess the folders aren't exactly invisible; more like the directory has disappeared / gone corrupt...or something.

If anyone has any other suggestions to restoring the sub-folders or how to recover the contents of the drive please respond.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
It sounds like the drive may have corrupt sectors that are not recoverable. If these corrupt sectors are hard errors, the drive may be failing. You could use a third party software, such as GetDataBack, to recover your data. However if your data is on one of the bad sectors, that data is unrecoverable.
Being the drive sounds like failure is imminent, data recovery should be done immediately.
You could also download the drive manufacturers disk utility and run a diagnostic against the drive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey, you can try the cheap way.
First of all, if you're sure the directories are there, try opening a new folder named exactly like them in the same directory. If it works, all the data you had there is doomed. It should say that there's already a folder named like that. If it does say that, do the cheap way of getting in.
Write in address something like F:/Anime ^_^/(name of the hidden directory)
If that works, all you have to do is find a short way to access it. A shortcut would do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're correct in the fact that I can not create a new folder with the same name, so the folders still exist...still haven't found a way to directly access them :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just told you, enter the whole address in the address bar like F:/Anime ^_^/(name of the hidden directory) and see if you have access to them. If you do, find a way to return them or simply make a shortcut there, which is cheap but works. If you don't, then they're corrupt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just fixed this same problem. Most of my c:\Windows subfolders had become Hidden for some reason, strangely 3 subfolders were still visible.
I fixed this by opening the properties on the c:\windows folder and checking the "Hidden" radio button. When the pop-up dialogue comes up, select the "Apply to subfolders and files " option. Click "Apply".
:4-thatsbaDO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW. Uncheck "Hidden" and click apply again, once more selecting "Apply to subfolders, etc..".

Still can't figure out why it happened in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.