Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
I am panicking a bit, I have a toshiba laptop, with a 20gb hard drive, which a computer pal helped me partition about 6 months ago. my laptop came with recovery disk, which loads win xp and wipes the hard drive. last night, I decided to reformat to clean up my computer, and inserted the recovery disk. it started, then said not enough disk space. now, when i boot, i get 'pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable'
'pxe-mof: exiting pxe rom'
'invalid partition table'
he used partition magic to partition the drive, and it was quite an ordeal.

if i boot from a win 98 startup disk (of course i don't have an xp start up disk, or a partition magic boot disk), it starts win 98, and
'no drives found, aborting install'
and leaves me at the a:

now should i try fdisk mbr? or does my laptop have any funky mbr stuff? i have hot-swappable 3.5/cd-rom disks, (with the 3.5 in now),
thanks much

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It depends on how the recovery disk functions. I know for HP and Compaq computers, the recovery partition is frequently a separate area on the hard disk which is hidden from normal use. If you deleted that in your Partition Magic resizing, you no longer have a recovery option. Is the "recovery" disk several CD's, or just a floppy disk?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the recovery disk is two cd's. it says 'you will lose all data on disk when it runs, so i guess it formats c and re-installs xp and toshiba utilities. i called toshiba, and they said to use fdisk and delete all partitions, make a primary partition of the whole disk, and enable a logical drive. but since i've never done this kind of thing before, i want to make sure i'm doing the right thing. i used testdisk to check the partitions, and got a
'primary bootable hpfs-ntfs 0 1 1 1019 254 63 16386237'
'logical hpfs-ntfs 1020 1 1 1657 254 63 10249407'
'logical hpfs-ntfs 1658 1 1 2431 254 63 12434247'

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem solved

I guess it wasn't so bad after all. I deleted the logical drives, extended partitions, and primary partitions, then made a new primary partition, stuck in the recovery cd, and there she went. thanks for the help everyone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.