Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is an existing thread relating to an "Invalid VxD dynamic link call" message. This problem relates to that:

When I try to re-install Windows 98 SE from CD it almost gets there and tries to reboot. Then a blue screen with the message "Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VWIN32 (01) + 00000714 to device "0009", service 1" appears.

I am also told "Your Windows configuration is invalid.
Run the Windows setup program again to correct this problem".

When I do this I first get a fatal exception but I am able to eventually get past this to an "Installing hardware" screen.

Soon, however, error messages appear like "No class key. Failed!" with the path "Enum\root\*PNP0200\0000" displayed.

Microsoft article 137335 (for Win 95) - "Error Message: Invalid VxD Dynamic Link Call from ..." suggests that device 0009 is the System Reboot Device and that the driver name is REBOOT. From that I assume that the driver file name is REBOOT.VXD. This file exists on my system in Windows\System\VMM32. The article suggests that this file should be replaced. Where can I get a valid copy from? Is it on the Windows 98 SE CD?

In the registry there is indeed an existing path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Root that contains several *PNP... keys, but not *PNP0200. Does this registry entry relate to anything special? Should it exist? (It does not exist on another Win 98 SE computer that has no problems.) Should I create one manually? What should be the contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Root\*PNP0200\0000?

Brenton

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.

No. I was attempting just a re-install in a last ditch hope that it would solve another problem regarding new IE windows not being populated. Another repondent has suggested a clean install might be necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.