Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right area to post in. Was on the computer today and it just shut down, was just typing in Word. When i restarted it gave me this.

Invalid boot.ini
booting c:/windows

screen goes black for about 30 secs then this pops up.

Cannot load windows because of missing or corrupt file:
<Windows Root>\System32.hal.dll

So I bring out the recovery disk, but it won't boot from it. I tried the f8 and it still just goes straight to booting c:/windows.

Only thing I can think of is that I have a DvD drive and maybe it is not recognizing it. Beats me though.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Phil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Simple fix should be to put in ur windows disk and hit repair chance are you have a corrupt boot.ini file which is needed to boot to windows. You might want to set the boot order in bios to Optical Drive first.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day pbowman,

Try this workaround....

Enter the BIOS (continually tap the Delete Key at start up), and change the Boot Sequence to …

1: CD/DVD

2: HDD (or IDE0)

3: Floppy Disc or Other bootable device.

Insert the Windows® XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM Drive; Save and Exit the BIOS; restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive when prompted.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.

(If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.)

When you are prompted, type the Administrator password...If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Enter in the following commands: (presuming that E: is the CD/DVD Drive.) Press Enter after each command.

COPY E:i386NTLDR C:

COPY E:i386NTDETECT.COM C:

(Please note the spaces in the command lines)

You now need to create a ‘boot.ini’ file, so type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.

When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]
Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].

Take out the CD ROM and type exit, and reboot the computer.
Upon rebooting, select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.
More information about editing the 'boot.ini' file is available from the Microsoft® website here.

Please report back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed the boot sequence and it boots up and says: Booting from CD press any key...So I do and then it comes up with same error message
Invalid boot.ini
booting c:/windows
Like its bypassing the drive. I have a DvD drive so not for sure if that is the issue, I have a CD drive but not hooked up, should I hook it back up and try that?

Thank you
Phil

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
it's not seeing the disk and then looking at the hard drive
you will need a xp disk not a recovery disk to boot from
if you use the recovery disk and run a recovery,if it does not offer a non destructive recovery
you will lose everything on the computer you installed after receiving it

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried to use a original copy of Win XP, but does the exact same thing. Says that it is booting from the CD then it goes back to the Invalid Boot.ini. Out of ideas. I put in an old hard drive I had that had Win 98 on it and booted up to that to get to the command prompt, and it works, except once at the command prompt my keyboard locks up.

Not for sure what to do now.

Thank you

Phil

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't even get to the command prompt to do anything. If I could then I could run the recovery cd. Thought about taking hard drive out and putting in another machine at work to see if I can get to it that way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I take out my hard drive and put in another machine can I fix it doing it that way. The only thing that I thought of is the other machine has xp pro on it and mine has xp home.

Thanks

·
11,900 Posts
No, that will not work, as the HDD must be the "Master" for you to access the Operating System correctly.

Take dai's advice, and try to borrow a Windows® XP Home™ Edition SP2-CD from a friend or colleague.
This will be the only way to rectify this issue, as the Recovery CD will not work in this instance.

Regards,

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally able to get access to the drive...sort of.
Took out drive and put in another machine, only thing that I could think of that why it would pop up on my machine was that the CMOS battery seems to be going bad, keep getting a checksum error on start up.
Anyway, brought it up and had hit repair, then had to run chkdsk before I could rebuild. But chkdsk failed after 25%, said it had unrecoverable problems. So I tried reformatting, after about 2 hours it also pops up and said that it couldn't be reformatted because disk was bad. Have no idea what happen, everything was working fine until one day just shut down.
So my question is this...is there anyway to get files off that drive, mainly just pictures and such?

Thank you
Phil

·
11,900 Posts
Hi Phil,

That message means that the HDD is about to go into self-retirement. :eek:
If you can, 'Slave' it in another computer; transfer the data you need to CD/DVD's or other media, and replace it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.