Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I try to connect to the internet with a program other than Firefox or AIM, it never works. Programs such as iTunes, Internet Explorer, and Windows Media Player say they cannot connect when I try using my connection with them. I don't use any other programs that use the internet often besides FF and AIM so I'm not really sure how long this has been going on. The first time I remeber noticing the problem was when we changed the security on our DSL signal from WEP to WPA-PSK. Not sure if this has anything to do with it though. I can live with the issue but it's becoming a hassle. A lot of programs that I've downloaded require you to register it online to use it but say they were unable to detect my connection.

Hopefully that made sense to someone. I'm open for any ideas cause I'm lost on this one. Also, in case it matters or not, the router for our DSL is downstairs by my dads computer so I have a Wireless LAN up here so I can access it.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
First thoughts are:

You may have a firewall thats blocking them - check.
Other browsers are most likely not allowed access by your firewall, or setup wrongly as in the way the browser connects to the net.

What firewall do you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I have for firewalls is just the default one that comes with Windows. I tried turning it off for a while but it didn't change anything.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Well, since it's the Microsoft suite that doesn't work, I'd be looking in the security settings for IE, which will affect the other programs mentioned as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing. No matter how I change the settings it doesn't want to work. It just comes up with a page saying it cannot detect my connection. I think I downloaded something that screwed up a lot of my programs cause I noticed I can no longer use Microsoft Paint which is really sad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems like I'm at a last resort here so I might consider giving it a try. I will likely be getting a new computer within about 6 months anyway so if it doesn't work then no big deal. Thank you for the help!

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
You can try a system restore to a date before all this happened and Start>Run>type: sfc /scannow > enter, (with XP CD inside) to see how much is repaired that way before a repair.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Actually, there's not much difference in the effort to do the repair install, and it's a more complete repair. SFC still requires you to install the service packs and patches since the CD was created.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.