Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so this is the down low. i just bought myself a new hp tablet pc, it comes with centrino and as such built in wireless i have a netgear router. an imac, and ibook runing wierless and a desk top running hard line. the macs and D.T. work fine. the tablet does too if hooked up hard line. wierlessly is another story. the wierless connection is enabled, itr says it is connected to my network with an "excelet" connection. the problem is that the internet and any web app is on off. google usualy pops up no problem searches do ok but most other sites ither dont work or take a very long time to load (after multiple refreshes) i tried disableing the firewall, ive temporarily tried removing all securitie on the router. still no difference. so im lost. any one have a hint, or simular story that they have fixed?

ps the wireless connection statuss window also sais that the connection status is "limited or no connectivity" but signal strength is "excelent"

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Does it say anything about acquiring a network address? I've had problems logging onto WAPs because for some reason I couldn't obtain an IP from the DHCP server.

·
Registered
282 Posts
First go to your desktop and click on start>run and type in cmd, you'll see a command prompt, type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotation mark and write down the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and the DNS, it should say 192.168.x.x depending on how it was setup, let's assume your IP address says 192.168.1.101.

- Now go to your wireless PC, go to your control panel>Network Connections and right click on your wireless connection and click on properties.
- You will see a list of protocols, look for and double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Choose use the following IP address and type in the info, now for the IP address, it cannot have the same numbers as any other computers on the network.
- Since the IP address of the other computer says 192.168.1.101, we will assign 192.168.1.240. This may not be the case for you, it depends on your network. The subnet mask and default gateway should match your desktop. You want to change the last number. (IE if your desktop was 192.168.10.100 then I would assign this station 192.168.10.240, I choose 240 because it is out of the DHCP scope most of the time)
- Choose Use the following DNS server and type in the same DNS as the desktop computer.
- Click on OK and see if you are able to browse the internet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.