Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was reviewing Task Manager on my Win10-64 PC, and see this file: Internet Security Essentials (32 bit) which is using 20% of CPU and Power Usage listed as Very High. It's been running for a couple hours.
I use Comodo Internet Security as my antivirus and firewall protection. Windows Defender is co-existing with Comodo.

Questions:
(1) Since I am running Win10-64, should I be seeing this Security Essentials 32bit file executing?
(2) Should I install Internet Security Essentials (64bit) which I see is available on the web?
(3) I thought Windows now calls their security system Windows Security (or Windows Defender), which is what I'm seeing in the Updates/Security tab in the System menu, so why is Task Manager calling the Process Internet Security Essentials?

Appreciate your clarifications.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,686 Posts
You do not need two AV programs to protect your machine and I recommend you uninstall Comodo using the tool that they created for this purpose .... Comodo Uninstaller Tool Use, Internet Security, Comodo Removal Tool | COMODO .... since the Uninstall utility that comes with the program usually does not do a very good job.

AV programs are closely tied into your system, so running two together just means that they will compete with each other for resources, and this generally leads to conflicts. Even if you don't have any now, there is no way of predicting whether some future update of either will produce them, and when they happen they can be difficult to resolve.

Microsoft Defender is a capable AV, and the version installed on W10 and W11 bears little resemblance to the product of a similar name that was fitted to earlier versions of Windows. You do not really need a 3rd party product to "boost" your security. If you really want to improve it, then educate yourself, and read up on the online threats you're likely to come across, and then modify your browsing habits accordingly. Good browsing habits are a much greater safeguard against infection than what AV programs you have installed.

As far as the file is concerned ..... it appears to be part of Comodo .... Internet Security Essentials by Comodo - Should I Remove It?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do not need two AV programs to protect your machine and I recommend you uninstall Comodo using the tool that they created for this purpose .... Comodo Uninstaller Tool Use, Internet Security, Comodo Removal Tool | COMODO .... since the Uninstall utility that comes with the program usually does not do a very good job.
Thank you for the explanation and the suggestions.
Re: the Comodo Uninstaller Tool... That link warns the user to not use this tool unless the standard Windows uninstaller process doesn't completely remove Comodo.

Should I start by using the Win10 uninstaller, and then use the Comodo tool? Or just start with the Comodo tool?

I will obviously backup my system drive before doing either.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,434 Posts
Use the tool. They are trying to leave some "reminders" if you use the Windows 10 uninstaller. You want it completely gone.

Reactions: cfcboc

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,686 Posts
Yes, as Corday says, just use the tool, because the onboard uninstaller will leave orphans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts