Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for the tech support staff at the college that I attend. We have been experiencing a problem in which our users get an IP but can't browse. Pre XP we have found a fix for, but it involves the uninstall of TCP/IP, which isn't doable in Windows XP. The fix we found for older OS's involves deleting the Winsock keys in the registry then reinstalling TCP/IP, and it seems to work ok. We have been trying to figure out the problem in XP and so far have failed to come up with a consistent solution. XP seems to be the only OS that is giving us problems on this matter, I and the tech support staff here have been working to find a consistent solution, but have failed to yet, luckily most students here aren't running XP, but we need to be able to fix this problem for those that are. Any help will be appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
Hello Brad and welcome to the forums......................:D

Are you using a firewall of any sort?

And are you sure the IP address your getting is valid.

Are you using Dialup or Broadband?

Try this.

Have you powercycled your modem?

Go to run and type command

Type in: ipconfig /releaseall

Then: ipconfig /renewall

Now type: ipconfig /all

See if this helps............................:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
It sounds like the problem is a DSN issue or with your Internet Gateway. At any rate the issue is server based and finding the root cause and solution will have some thing to do with your servers.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Can't browse what ? Your network to see other computers and resources? Or can't browse the internet with a browser?

Makes a big difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.