Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope somebody can help because this is really annoying me:

Having recently managing to set up a broadband service from Orange, I decided to download some anti-virus software. I chose the free version of AVG and downloaded it then did a scan on my computer (Windows XP). After 50 minutes I was informed that I had some viruses and I clicked to remove them. Then my problems started.

I can still log onto the internet i.e. it says "Orange Broadband is now connected" but I cannot open an IE window or other internet-based stuff such as MSN Live Messenger. At the top of the IE screen it says "cannot find server". I tried uninstalling AVG but it still doesn't work.

After running connection tests it said to check firewall and proxy settings. My firewall is (and always has been) on and I have been through what I think are the proxy settings and everything appears to be fine. I have checked simple things such as that the cables are pushed in etc. Another test on IE said that it cannot find HTTP, HTTPS and FTS locations.

Help! I don't want to have to wipe my computer and start again! What can I do?

If anyone can help and needs more info (but please bear in mind I'm not technically minded) please let me know and I'll send all the details I can.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are you using to connect (modem, router.USB ect) How did you create the connection, did you configure it yourself or use a disc. go to tools/accounts and check the settings make sure detect my settings automaticly is ticked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
erm..... i'm not sure! sorry i'm not really computer literate! i have a speedtouch external modem that i think is connected via USB. i used a disc to set up the account and it was all fine until i downloaded anti-virus software. will check settings asap. thanks for replying!

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi danbous...what firewall are you using?

Also, post back on the contents of the following please:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
msconfig
- Click OK
- Select the 'Startup' tab and post back on the contents of the list....feel free to use screenshots if there is a lot of entries.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well Orange is Wannado for what it's worth, sounds like it didn't like something in your settings that Orange gave you (I assume you used a disk to install it ?), and your software deleted these things causing this, thats my guess anyway, can you go into that programs log file and see what it did ? might be able to prove it, if you did use a disk run it again and it should reset\replace any missing files that may be causing this, and by the fact your using a speedtouch modem am I right in thinking you changed from BT ? not that it makes a difference lol, but check under your network connections under the control panel networking to see what is set up there, may say something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi, thanks for all the info and sorry about the late reply. i restarted my computer using settings from before the problems started and it seems to be ok now. i dont know if this is a temporary fix or something that i can keep as permanent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.