Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to open IE the window opens and then closes again. When I try to open the "Help and Support" absolutely nothing happens. I have run a virus check with AVG and it shows nothing. I have booted in safe mode but still have the same symptoms. I am running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 and automatic updates. I have had a lot of discussions with Ried on the HijackThis log help forum and he suggested I now post on here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/163037-internet-explorer-help-system-restore-not-opening-2.html

Originally we thought it was a conflict with iTunes. Following a run sfc /scannow I was able to do a system restore and reinstalled iTunes and it has worked OK for a while. However, after installing Windows updates, the problem has returned.

My last post was:-

Hi Reid sorry I've been slow to get back to you. After I installed iTunes, the computer worked fine for a short while, but has gone back to the same problem. All is OK until I install the latest Windows updates. I currently have 5 to install:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB933566)
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB929123)
Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)

If I restart the computer or shut it down without installing the updates, it reboots OK and everything works OK, so it would seem that one or more of the updates is causing the problem. So I intend to install the updates one at a time to see if it is a particular one causing the problem.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi chateauneufdupa(pe)

Trying the updates one at a time would indeed be the right thing to do. Have you had any luck with that ? You can manually create a restore point before you install each update in order to be able to go back if any error occurs. You can also uninstall some updates using add/remove programs if you check the "show updates" box.

If you believe it could be some update conflicting with iTunes you could try to contact iTunes technical support about that.

I don't know whether MS reported any compatibility issues with those updates but maybe another MS tech will know more about that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Justpassingby,

I installed the updates 1 by 1 and narrowed the problem down to Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB933566). This already appeared to be installed when I checked Add / Remove programmes. I have done a search on this update and it seems to be causing a lot of problems and others have picked up on the duplication. I have done a system restore and will just skip this update.

Thanks for your reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.