Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am putting this in the Internet Explorer forum because it directly relates to IE, however I am using Vista and this may be a Vista problem for all I know.

Anyway...

Whenever I am on my laptop, sometimes I get a pop up telling me Internet Explorer has stopped working. But I don't even use IE!!

One solution I found was to disable IE (I read I cannot uninstall IE on Vista for some reason) yet this has not worked. (By disable I mean go onto Set Program Access and Computer Defaults, then custom, then uncheck 'enable access to IE').

Another "solution" was to repair Microsoft Office (by add/remove programs, then change/repair). This has also not worked.

Does anyone have any input on what can be done? If they only solution is "upgrade to Windows 7", I am putting that off until the summer when my studies are completed, I just don't want 6 months of "Internet Explorer has stopped working" pop ups.

Many thank yous.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,612 Posts
Make sure you've installed all Windows Updates. Uninstall IE9 (Start>Programs & Features>View Installed Updates>Right click IE9>Uninstall). After this finishes you still have IE8. If the problem isn't occurring, you could reinstall IE9.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I got this when I was bouncing around on IE versions. On my Vista, I had IE7 then I upgraded to IE9. But I had issues so I went back to IE7... then I starting getting the error mentioned. It went away when I went back to IE9

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,612 Posts
Just to be sure, does this mean everything is OK now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.