Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running Windows XP SP2 3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4, 1 GB Ram, SBC DSL w/ DL-1.5 MPS (actual) and UL 437 (actual).
OK so the problem that I am having is i lose my signal strength several times a day. It goes from 1.5 Mbs to 400bps and everything using the internet just loses connection. I use BearShare Pro 5.1.0 so I am used to losing some speed but not complete signal. I am thinking it has something to do with BearShare but I haven't ruled out everything yet. I have been using BearShare for over a year and a 1/2 now so I think it may be something else. I keep a IP address but lose DNS host and gateway. ipconfig fails to ping, or renew the ip address. Windows IP repair also times out and fails to renew IP. SBC self support tool recommends rebooting the Modem which is now what i do every time it happens. It works sometimes but only for so long. I can't leave my internet connection on with bearShare or a large d/l at night due to the need to manually reboot the modem every crash. I have a new modem on the way from SBC. Online and Phone support both could not solve my problem and recommended sending a tech for 60 bucks or sending me a new free modem in the hopes of solving the issue. Even moved my modem away from and EM sources such as power strip, speakers, and the actual tower itself. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I run Ad-aware, SpyBot, Spyware Dr, and RegClean on an almost daily basis. As well as Norton Security AntiSpy Ware, Anti-Virus, and Firewall. With virus scans twice weekly and online scan once per week. Also run Evidence Eliminator bi-weekly so I am pretty Confident that it is not a virus or spy-ware problem, though you can never be sure. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

(The ultimate solution is Time Warner which I can not get due to a Nazi sole provider-ship contract ComCast cable has with my current apt. complex.)

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, we don't help with P2P programs, as they are 99.99% used for illegal activities. I suggest you get rid of BearShare and maybe things will work better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.