Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

I have recently gotten a very weird problem that I can not get rid off.

When I start the computer cold I can access homepages thru internet explorer and firefox, (both are set to find internet settings automatic), but after a short period of time (can be all from a minute to 10-15 minutes) my internet browsers "dies". No 404 error or Timeouts, no loading of the page either. The browsers loading icon, the waving flag in IE and rotating dots in Firefox, just flashes and then return to its static position.

When I have proper internet connection, I have a UPnP Gateway that "works" but when my internet connection has "died", it says under properties that it "does not work" (sorry guys that I can give word-for-word since I am on a japanese OS).
Even when the internet connection does not work, I can PING any working site with success and even TRACERT.

First I thought that the ADSL Modem might be broken so I called my ISP and got a new one. Same problem.

My Specs are;
Dell Dimension 8200
Core 2 Duo E6300
1GB RAM
XP Media Center 2005 (Jap)
NOD 32

No Firewall
No Router, the Computer is connected directly to the ADSL Modem

Due To the ISP settings, the computer is set to Automatically receive internet settings, always this;
Computer IP: 192.168.0.2
DNS : 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It sounds like you have spyware/malware. Download ad-aware and scan, And see if it detects anything. If not then it is probably a SOCKS problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tech-Cameron for your fast response.

I have done a search for spy/malware with Search & Destroy, (downloaded the latest definitions while I had internet) and had some. Nothing major, and deleted all successfully. The Problem still persisted.

On the SOCKS problem, I have no settings for it and since I have no firewall, I fail to understand how it can relate to a SOCKS problem. Please enlighten me.

Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.