Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set up my laptop, desktop and old win95 desktop on a network, through a D-Link switch, which appears to work ok. I can share files and printers, and each computer can see all the others.

However, ICS is supposed to be on, and on my laptop (I'm ignoring the 95 machine for now), the gateway "Freedom Broadband on XP' shows up. I can't connect. When I try and view a page, all that happens is that the computer tries to connect to the local dial-up connection, which is not plugged in.

I'm running ZoneAlarm and firefox on both machines, and internet explorer does not work on the laptop either. I can browse the net fine on what should be the ICS host.

Any ideas?

· Registered
154 Posts
I have a similar set up. 2 X 98SE, 1X XP and !X 95. Variously wifi and cable connected through a single router. Previously used ICS to access the internet via dialup on one of the 98SE machines.

But when I swapped to a cable modem (still on the 98SE machine and NOT via the router) ICS failed and I had to install a third party software Wingate which did the trick after a little configuring... which the Wingate people supported via forum and email, actually they were great.

ALSO Sounds like you also need to configue your connection to point to your cable(?) modem rather than your old dial up. try this first, you might get lucky.

dins

· Registered
13 Posts
Im no pro, but it seems to me like your laptop shouldnt be trying to connect to the internet, but rather to the lan (or more directly to the computer which DOES connect to the internet) with which it will access the internet through. I use ICS, and I have my main computer dial the internet, then my other computer automatically is allowed on the internet as long as you have ICS set up correctly and the computers are properly networked together (since you can share files they should be). Basically, I dont think your laptop should be dialing anything once ICS gets set up correctly. Once again Im not a pro, but cant hurt to try and reinstall/reconfigure ICS can it? Also it might not hurt to disable your firewall/etc after you reinstall it on both the server computer and the laptop.

Make sure you have the host's connection properties set to "share internet connection" and the client's LAN connection under "My network places" has "client for microsoft networking" installed in its properties. Those are the 2 main things I did, gimme a min Ill try and find a site.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

If Im wrong I figured it couldn't hurt to try and help some people in my situation from a month ago, but sorry.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying. However, I don't THINK that either will work. The connection already shows up on my laptop, as default gateway: Freedom Broadband on XP (XP is the name of the ICS host). The problem is that when I try to access a webpage (or even ping a web server from the laptop), the laptop attempts to dial up using the broadband connection installed for when the network is not connected, rather than using the gateway.

Zebra, I'll loking at the link you posted, and I will try some of the things it suggests, but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Anyone?

· Registered
2 Posts
Hmmm

I don't know if this will help or not, but try fiddling with the connections tab of the internet options (under control panel). I use ICS and mine is set to never dial a connection on the non-ISC-host computers on my network.

Also, under network connections, look for a connection marked with a black check. Right click this connection and hit "Cancel as Default Connection". This might be causing your problem.

Hope it helps!

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is really annoying!

Nothing seems to be working. I have already done both of your suggestions, Teabagged, and ebackhus, I have a switch, not a router.

Please, any more ideas anyone?

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,618 Posts
I'm confused, the laptop that is not connected to the broadband is showing up the broadband connection? Try initializing the laptop's TCP/IP stack with the following process, since the default configuration should be proper to connect to an ICS host or a router.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a connection set up for when my laptop is not connected to the network, and when it is, freedom broadband shows as a gateway (which can be disconnected successfully, but my applications cannot use to access the net).

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update: Still doesn't work, and to clarify, the connection to be shared appears as the default gateway on my laptop, but cannot be accessed by programs.

· Registered
1 Posts
what's the bet as soon as you disable zonealarm it will work

i spent hours trying to configure zonealarm to allow my other pc's on network access to main internet pc, couldn't figure it out.

i hate zonealarm

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I tried that and it didn't work!

I just downloaded proxy by AnalogX and it does the job perfectly, by setting up the ICS host as a proxy host instead. All you have to do is configure the other computers to access the proxy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.