Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My comp specs are Core 2 Duo 2.4, 8 gigs of ram, Asus p5b-e motherboard, Geforce 8800 640mb ram, Killer NIC Network card.

I've had this problem since I moved into my new townhome 6 months ago, which is unfortnately the same time I built my new comp from the ground up, so I can't really pinpoint if it's my comp or isp. I have Roadrunner, and for whatever reason, when I'm downloading large files via torrent or IRC or even on the web, my internet connection will die, however the lights on my modem remain all lit up. It usually takes roughtly 10-20 minutes before all downloads will cease, and I cannot get a web browser or any Internet program to work even though the cable modem says I'm connected. I have to unplug the power cable to the modem so it basically reboots, then I can resume downloads without rebooting the actual computer.

I thought this problem was with my onboard Ethernet adapter on the mb, so I bought the Killer network card, still Internet activity dies within 20 minutes if, but only if I'm downloading. If I'm not downloading, the comp will retain a true connection all day and night. So, then I thought the problem was Roadrunner, so I had them replace the modem, and still the problem persists. It's as if my computer says to me, "I can't take anymore downloading right now, you're screwed," and kills my Internet connection, virtually invisibally.

I don't think it's a ram problem because I can play games for hours just fine. It can't be a hard drive problem because I've used different drives as my destination while downloading. I've even tried controlling the speeds (slower) of my downloads, i.e. in BitComet, thinking something was screwing up because things were coming in too fast, and that didn't even help. Weird thing is that if you were to unplug your cable modem from the wall or its power, Windows will tell you in a balloon that there is a network error, but when my internet connection dies, it seems as if Windows doesn't even know; there's no balloon.

Please, does anyone have an idea as to why my computer is killing my Internet connection while downloading?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
check to see if any programs are set to run when the computer is idle or if the nic has the box ticked to allow windows to shut it down when not in use.

windows assumes the computer is idle if the keyboard/mouse are not being used and will start tasks or enter power save mode when no keyboard entry is made.

Ken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Killer card doesn't even have the option to check that box. Only the onboard Ethernet adapter does. I doubt this is the issue because I will lose my connection even while at my keyboard. The answer has to be something with downloading large files that take longer than 3 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.