Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day

This is my first post to any forum anywhere, ever.

As you will no doubt realise, I am not much of a computer techie. I stumbled across this forum whilst looking for help with a web problem.

I have a PC which is connected to the web via NTL broadband. I have set up a wireless network using a Netgear router. The network appears to be working perfectly i.e. my laptop is "seeing" the network ( as well as a few others around my area) and I have a good connection with a speed of 100 mbps.

The only problem is that I cannot access the web. I have tried using IE and Firefox and all I get is "Page Not Found" (IE) or "Try Again" (Firefox).

I have had the laptop for about 18 months and it has never been connected to the web. I am running Windows XP, Home Edition. I have spoken to a few friends who have checked various settings and they think all the internet options are OK.

I'd be grateful for any assistance. Failing that, the laptop is going out of the window!:pray:

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi Johnyob

A few assumptions first:
1) Your original NTL broadband setup was for a desktop PC.
2) That original PC connects to the Internet OK.
3) That original NTL broadband setup uses coaxial cable to the NTL box.
4) That original NTL broadband setup uses ethernet cable to the PC.
5) You added and configured your Netgear wireless router yourself.

If any of my assumptions are wrong, let me know & we'll adjust things a bit.

If all the above assumptions are correct, let's make sure the laptop's basic Internet settings are OK, by making a wiredconnection via an ethernet cable.
1) Your Netgear router should have an ethernet cable from it's WAN/Uplink connector to an ethernet port on the NTL cable "modem".
2) Another ethernet cable should run from an ethernet port on the router to the ethernet port on the PC.
3) For trouble-shooting purposes, unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the PC - and instead plug it into an ethernet port on the laptop.
4) Go to Internet Options in the XP Control Panel, and make sure that under the "Connections" tab, the LAN setting has a checkmark in the box before the line "automatically detect".
5) Test for an Internet connection.
6) Should this not work at first, reboot the laptop, and test for a connection again.

Should that work, at least you know the laptop's basic Internet connectivity is possible.

The barrier is likely the wireless setup. It's important to know that the wireless setup of the laptop needs to match that of the router. If your router is configured to use WEP, WPA, or WPA2 encryption to ensure secure communications, your laptop's wireless configuration will need to accomodate those settings. If the router has been setup to filter connections by the MAC address of computers attempting to connect, you'll need to add your laptop's MAC address to the list of allowed addresses [from your laptop's command line, the "ipconfig /all" command (without the quotes) would give you the laptop's MAC address (it will be listed as "Physical Address", and be a set of 6 pairs of alphanumeric characters, separated by dashes NN-NN-NN-NN-NN-NN)]. The laptop will have to choose your network by it's unique network name (broadcast ID) and if secured, the laptop will need to provide the password, pass-phrase, and be set to the same sort of encryption (if any) that the router is setup to use. All these details are usually covered in the manuals for your Netgear router.

Many broadband providers don't officially support troubles with routers, but will often give you enough help to get you started in the right direction - if you give them a call and explain your predicament. They want to keep your business, after all!

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Are you using a firewall? If so, that could be your problem if all of your connections and setup are correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Internet Access Problems

Finally cracked it at 4am this morning.

I uninstalled Symantec antivirus and that seemed to resolve the problem. I had previously tried disabling all anti-virus software as well as the firewall, but that obviously wasn't enough. After I got up and running, I re-installed Symantec and it works fine.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Johnyob

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ya, this is common with a new net connection and browsers, disable your firewall and run it, then reboot and it should be fine.

On my firewall I added the IP range of my router to the exceptions list on my firewall software, and it worked a treat.

Also, make sure that in Firefox you set the conection settings to "Direct Connection to the Internet".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.