Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I haven't managed to find anything fully related to the issue(s) I am having at present so I'm starting a thread anew.

To begin with: I have a Seagate 2TB internal SATA HDD, model #: ST32000542AS. I am currently running winXP pro.

Over the past few months this particular HDD has fallen victim to [a few] random spontaneous ejections (aka, simply disappearing) whilst in a windows session.
Naturally, my course of action was to shut the computer down, check cable-connections, verify BIOS settings & recognition of drive, and subsequently boot back up. Normally all would be back to normal once back in windows again.
However, the most recent HDD disappearance has rendered the hard-drive completely unidentifiable by the BIOS, and typically, windows will not recognise it either.

I checked the windows logfile for some some clarification as to what might have marred the hard-drive in some way when it was ejected this most recent time. Attached to this thread is an image illustrating particular events of relevance to the issue.

I should also probably mention that I was amid a [rather large] file-transfer operation from this drive to another (or perhaps vice-versa?) when the drive went AWOL.

Despite my uncertainty as to the cause of the drive's disappearing, I am however quite certain that the inability for it now to be read at all is unrelated to the BIOS, as I've tried the drive in a USB shell (connecting via USB) and it's still unreadable. I've used this drive within the USB shell in the past and it's worked; just for clarification.

One more note: When plugged in to the comp (via SATA cable) the computer's MOBO boot-screen seems to hang for noticeably longer than usual. When unplugged this anomaly does not occur whatsoever.

Though not so much an urgent matter as an important and anxiety-provoking one. I'd wholeheartedly appreciate any help & guidance with this issue.

Thanks alot in advance.

Attachments

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
If the drive is missing or not recognized by the BIOS, there is a hardware issue. Could be the HDD, cabling, or controller. Most likely just a faulty drive. If it's under warranty, have it replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.