Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My computer is blank. I have no idea of what happened. I think I must have a virus.
When I turn the computer on I get a black screen that reads:

No bootable devices---strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

If I press F1 I get the same message.

If I try to reboot in safe mode I get this message:
Internal HDD HARD error! Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 w/ Windows XP

It had been running slowly in the days prior to this happening and even shut off twice when I was using it. I thought that perhaps it was an accident on my part both times. Then one night I went to bed with it on and the next day when I went to use it...I saw the screen that read No bootable devices :4-dontkno

I'm at a loss. I do have access to my husbands Macbook. I am using that now. I am not at all able to use my laptop.

Thanks for ANY help you can give!:pray:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

Thank you for your response. I'm not computer savvy but I figured out how to boot to bios by googling :). When I did the diagnostics test 2 areas failed:4-dontkno : Start DST Short Test (No Drive Detected) and a second DST Short Status Test Error Code: 1000-0141 (No Drive Detected).

After I clicked 'Yes' to continue the test I got this message:
No Diagnostic Utility Partition Found. To run diagnostics, insert your Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, than select OK to restart the system and boot off the CD.

I did that...put the CD in and tried to boot from it but it didn't work. I did it several times.

I guess my HD is gone? How could that happen?

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's best to get a new computer or take my old computer to a technician to get a new Hard Drive. I'll see which one appears more cost efficient...:4-dontkno

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF Analog Kid,

@Analog Kid - You need to start your own post, it is inconsiderate to hijack someone elses thread here, ty.

If you need to do a clean install of xp windows, heres what you need to burn to a cd
for the drivers.

Go here for chipset driver: Choose #2 (use this one)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...P+Professional*&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

Go here for drivers:
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...emID=INS_PNT_6000&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Proper installation order for windows installations:

1. Enter bios and make sure boot order is set to boot cd/dvd drive rom first
2. Use a harddrive utility for testing and erasing HD
3. Install windows
4. Install drivers - Install chipset driver first - rebooting pc inbetween each driver install.
5. Install pc protection
6. Update through windows update icon
7. Your done

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good stuff Risky, but sometimes 'use a hard drive utility' means nothing to a novice.
The windows or system disk should be able to format/erase the drive and test for problems.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You will need to know the name of the harddrive the pc has it init, you can go into bios and look in there for the information, should be on first page.

Use a harddrive Utility go here for one:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Download an iso file of the harddrive utility you need and burn it to a disc,
Use this cd to boot up the pc from it and run the test and full erase.

As formatting doesnt necessarily erase anything just prepares the harddrive for the windows files to be installed, also 3rd party programs can find data from the harddrive if it has only been formatted.

If you need any help with just ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.