Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting a internal error 2718 {62329568-19b5-43cf-9524-3ee4dd709d01} EarthLink Pop-Up blocker when i open internet explorer. have removed earthlink through add&remove programs. how do i get rid of this annoying error mesg?

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
"internal error 2718" appears to be a generic error. Basically, the Earthlink app isn't completely uninstalled. You could try running msconfig and unchecking any lines associated with Earthlink in the Start up section. You could also run regedit and search for all lines associated with Earth link and remove them.

**NOTE - before making any changes to the registry it's a good idea to create a System Restore point.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Manually Uninstall EarthLink
Back Up your Registry before trying these steps.

Go to Start/Run and type Regedit.Browse to:
H_Key_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
If any of the values below exist in the “Run” folder, delete them.
ConMgr.exe
UpdateMgr.exe
Armon32.exe
(These values may not exist if the programs were disabled previously in Msconfig)

H_KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellFolders
change the cookies value to c:\windows\cookies
change the favorites value to c:\windows\favorites

H_KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folder
change the cookies value to c:\windows\cookies
change the favorites value to c:\windows\favorites

Delete H_KEY_Current_User\Software\EarthLink Network
Delete H_Key_Local_Machine\Software\EarthLink Network
Reboot the machine
Delete the EarthLink 5.0 folder from c:\program files
Delete the Access Ramp folder from c:\program files
Click Start then go to Settings and then choose Taskbar and Start menu
Remove the EarthLink folder from the start menu
Remove the EarthLink toolbar from the Startup folder in the Start menu
Delete any EarthLink 5.0 shortcuts from the desktop

In addtion to this i followed the directions of one of the other writers in this thread by going to Start/Run/ Type in MS config/ Click on Service tab and startup tab make sure earthlink is not there in services tab or at least not active and in the startup make sure it's not checked i don't know how to actually remove it from that tab but having it unchecked if it is there has worked for me.

Then Here is the master trick apparently Go back to run after you close out Ms config screen. In run Type Regedit now someone else made a very valid point about not poking around in the regisitry edits and deleting things that your not sure about well my computer is old so i figure if i kill it at least i would be done with the faithful foe of earthlink pop blocker internal error 2718.
Go to Hkey_Classes_ Root
Go all the way down the list until you get to the E section
Ok Now you will see these folders you need to delete the whole folder
Any that start with ELNK
Any that Start with ElnIE.Srchhook ( if you don't believe these are really registered to earthlink go to www.internetsecurityzone.com it will tell you who it belongs to even the Clsid that belongs to it you can delete that too if you like)
Any that start with ELS. ( they may say Els.elsaddressbook etc..)
and ELMFile and there should be two that say Eauthmgr those also must go they belong to earthlink ( mind you this is only if you want to be rid of earthlink all together)

After that i rebooted my computer and TADA!!! no more pop up from earthlink at all.

I hope this helps to any of you professional computer people out there who read this and i have said something wrong please feel free to correct me i am not a professional or qualified to work on computers but love computers, so far my computer works like normal just more awesome with out that ANNOYING POP UP..(smile)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.